This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
A New Instrument for Fuel Consumption Measurement in Light Aircraft
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published April 11, 2000 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
An original instrument for fuel consumption measurement in reciprocating internal combustion engines for light aircraft has been developed and built. It is based on the detection of two parameters: the engine rotational speed and the manifold pressure. The aim of the instrument is to provide a fuel consumption indication which can be used during cruising. The instrument is not intended to replace the usual on board fuel level gauge, but can be used to integrate the flight information with the overall and instantaneous fuel consumption data, and with the cruising range indication, leading to a significant increase in flight safety. Some results of fuel consumption measurements from experimental tests are here presented and discussed. Such results were first obtained with the instrument installed on the engine during bench tests. Then, flight tests were carried out with the instrument installed on three different aircraft, to evaluate the instrument response under real operating conditions. The first results thus obtained have encouraged further developments of the instrument.
CitationMarzano, M. and Nuccio, P., "A New Instrument for Fuel Consumption Measurement in Light Aircraft," SAE Technical Paper 2000-01-2122, 2000, https://doi.org/10.4271/2000-01-2122.
- Morelli: P. The Economy Air Race Fėdėration Aėronautique Internationale (FAI), General Conference saltsjoŸ baden, Sweden October 1987
- Morelli: P. The Economy Race - a New Challenge for Motorgliders International Soaring Symposium Richmond. NSW, Australia Oct 1998
- Heywood: G.B. Internal Combustion Engines Fundamentals Mc Graw Hill
- Antonelli: E. Enciclopedia dell'Ingegneria, Vol 7 1971
- Cormaci: G. Rilievo sperimentale e previsione teorica delle prestazioni dei motori ad accensione comandata Tesi di Laurea, Politecnico di Torino; relatori E. Antonelli e P. Nuccio.; a.a. 1988/89
- Beraudo: G. Determinazione al banco freno delle prestazioni di un motore di tipo aeronautico e sua possibile applicazione a velivoli leggeri Tesi di laurea, Politecnico di Torino, a.a. 88/89. Relatore P. Nuccio
- Morelli, P. Nuccio: P. Sulla misura del consumo di carburante nei motori alternativi ad accensione comandata XLVII Congresso Nazionale ATI, Parma 15-18 settembre 1992
- Didonna: V. lndice del consumo di carburante finalizzato all'ottimizzazione del volo in crociera Morelli, P. Nuccio. P.
- Morelli, P. Nuccio: P. A new instrument for fuel consumption measurement in light aircraft and motorgliders XXV OSTIV Congress, Saint Auban sur Durance, France, 3-11 July 1997