This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Fleet Evaluation of Propylene Glycol (PG) and Recycled PG Coolant with Extended Life Inhibitors
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published June 19, 2000 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
A fleet test using Propylene Glycol (PG) based coolant, recycled PG based coolant and PG mixed with ethylene glycol (EG) coolant was conducted using a fleet of employee vehicles. These coolants were all formulated using extended life, silicate free additive technology. This fleet consisted of a wide range of vehicle types and was run to verify the effectiveness of utilizing a PG based coolant across a broad spectrum of vehicle types. The results from this fleet test will be discussed. Results will include coolant analysis, parts inspection and vehicle repair histories. The environmental (toxicological) benefits of such a coolant will also be discussed.
CitationFritz, P., Bartley, L., Lindholm, S., Greaney, J. et al., "Fleet Evaluation of Propylene Glycol (PG) and Recycled PG Coolant with Extended Life Inhibitors," SAE Technical Paper 2000-01-1976, 2000, https://doi.org/10.4271/2000-01-1976.
- Mark, F.E. and Jetten, W., “Propylene Glycol, A New Base Fluid for Automotive Coolants,” Engine Coolant Testing: Second Symposium, ASTM STP 887, Beal, R. A., Ed., ASTM, Philadelphia, 1986, pp. 61-77.
- Cozzone, G. E. “High Ambient Evaluation of Glycol Coolants,” Heat Exchangers for Automotive Design, SAE 970941, 1997.
- Branchi, C., Bhowmick, S., McAssey, E. V., Gollin, M. and Cozzone, G., “Comparison of Aqueous Mixtures of Propylene-Glycol and Ethylene Glycol Under Simulated Engine Cooling Conditions,” Heat Exchangers for Automotive Design, SAE 970940, 1997
- Coughenour, G. E., Goodman, D. R., Brunett, A. J. and Ellis, S. L., “High Temperature, High Load Performance of Propylene Glycol Engine Coolants in Modern Engines,” SAE 950462, 1995.
- Gollin, M. K. and Bjork, D., “Comparative Performance of Ethylene Glycol and Propylene Glycol Coolants in Automobile Radiators,” Vehicle Heat Exchanger and Transfer Design (SP-1175), SAE 960372, 1996.
- Schwartz, Steven A. p. 327; Engine Coolant Testing Vol.4, Beal R. E. Ed., ASTM STP 1335, 1999.
- Washington, D. A., Miller, D. L., Maes, J. P., Van de Ven, P. and Orth, J. E. “Long Life Performance of Carboxylic Acid Based Coolants”, SAE 940500, 1994.
- Unpublished results on ASTM D1384 and D4340 tests.