This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
The Air Assisted Direct Injection ELEVATE Automotive Engine Combustion System
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published June 19, 2000 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
The purpose of the ELEVATE (European Low Emission V4 Automotive Two-stroke Engine) industrial research project is to develop a small, compact, light weight, high torque and highly efficient clean gasoline 2-stroke engine of 120 kW which could industrially replace the relatively big existing automotive spark ignition or diesel 4-stroke engine used in the top of the mid size or in the large size vehicles, including the minivan vehicles used for multi people and family transportation.
This new gasoline direct injection engine concept is based on the combined implementation on a 4-stroke bottom end of several 2-stroke engine innovative technologies such as the IAPAC compressed air assisted direct fuel injection, the CAI (Controlled Auto-Ignition) combustion process, the D2SC (Dual Delivery Screw SuperCharger) for both low pressure engine scavenging and higher pressure IAPAC air assisted DI and the ETV (Exhaust charge Trapping Valve).
Its design process extensively supported by 1D and 3D CFD simulation studies has been presented in a previous paper. Such simulations have been useful to give preliminary V4 ELEVATE engine design specifications corresponding to the expected performance targets. Based on these specifications, a representative single cylinder research and development engine has been designed and manufactured.
Detailed results of this experimental engine are presented in this new paper. They illustrate how the ELEVATE engine concept is based on a unique and innovative combustion system combining air assisted direct injection of gasoline with controlled auto ignition combustion. The effect of the design specifications of the main innovative engine features on the auto-ignition characteristics is analyzed in details. This analysis shows how the part load auto-ignition combustion process parameters can be controlled for best benefits in terms of low NOx emissions and high fuel economy.
Finally, the results obtained give precious indications on the ways of future development testing and calibration of the ELEVATE V4 engine demonstrator for its in-vehicle assessment.
- Matteo Perotti - Politecnico di Milano
- Pierre Duret - IFP
- Jean-Charles Dabadie - IFP
- Jacques Lavy - IFP
- Robert Kenny - Queens University of Belfast
- Geoffrey Cunningham - Queens University of Belfast
- Jeff Allen - Lotus Engrg.
- Dave Blundell - Lotus Engrg.
- Johnny Oscarsson - Opcon
- Goran Emanuelsson - Opcon
CitationDuret, P., Dabadie, J., Lavy, J., Allen, J. et al., "The Air Assisted Direct Injection ELEVATE Automotive Engine Combustion System," SAE Technical Paper 2000-01-1899, 2000, https://doi.org/10.4271/2000-01-1899.
- DURET P. ECOMARD A. AUDINET M. A New Two-Stroke Engine with Compressed Air Assisted Fuel Injection for High Efficiency Low Emissions Applications SAE 880176
- DURET P. MOREAU J.F. The IAPAC Two-Stroke engine with compressed Air Assisted Fuel Injection: Origin and reduction of Pollutant Emissions IME C382/126 EAEC Congress June 1989
- DURET P. MOREAU J.F. Reduction of Pollutant Emissions of the IAPAC Two-Stroke Engine with Compressed Air Assisted Fuel Injection SAE 900801
- DURET P. 1990 21 961 963
- MONNIER G. DURET P IAPAC Compressed Air Assisted Fuel Injection for High Efficiency Low Emissions Marine Outboard Two-Stroke Engines SAE 911849
- MONNIER G. DURET P. GLOVER S. IAPAC Compressed Air Assisted Fuel Injection for High Efficiency Low Emissions Marine Outboard Two-Stroke Engines JSAE 911251 SETC Conference 1991
- WARD'S Engine Update September 15 1990 5
- SCHLUNKE K. The Orbital Combustion Process Engine 10th Vienna Motorsymposium 63 78
- CUMMING B. 2-Stroke Engines: Opportunities and Challenges 3rd Aachen Colloquium Automobile and Engine Technology 15-17 October 1991
- GM CDS2 Two-Stroke Engine brochure
- BLAIR G.P. KEE R.J. CARSON C.E. DOUGLAS R. The Reduction of Emissions and Fuel Consumption by Direct Air Assisted Fuel Injection into a Two-Stroke Engine 4th Graz Two-Wheeler symposium 8 9 April 1991
- LANDFAHRER K. PLOHBERGER D. ALTEN H. MIKULIC L. Thermodynamic Analysis and Optimization of Two-Stroke Gasoline Engines SAE 890415
- WANG J.H. HUANG H.H. PENG Y.Y. MORNG R.F. WANG W.B. Application of a Low Pressure Air Assisted Fuel Injection System on Two-Stroke Motorcycle JSAE 911253 SETC Conference 1991
- SMITH D.A. AHERN S.R. Developments in the Orbital Ultra Low Emissions Vehicle IFP International Seminar “A new generation of Two- Stroke Engines” 29-30 Novembre 1993 Ed. Technip
- DURET P. VENTURI S. CAREY C. The IAPAC Fluid Dynamically Controlled Automotive Two-Stroke Combustion Process IFP International Seminar 1993
- KENNY R.G. Two-Stroke Cycle Engine Exhaust Emissions IME Seminar World wide engine emissions standards and how to meet them 12-13 Feb. 1991 London
- JOURDE J.P. HAUET B. Development of a Pressure - Time Type Electromagnetic Injector for Direct Injection in a 2-Stroke Spark Ignition Engine Paper 885132 XXII FISITA Congress Detroit Sept 1988
- AHMED A. HAUET B. GRATADOUR M. Development of a Combustion System for Direct Injection S.I. Two-Stroke Automotive Engine Paper 91009 EAEC Congress June 1991
- HUNDLEBY G.E. Development of a Poppet-Valved Two-Stroke Engine - The Flagship Concept SAE 900802
- TOYOTA Engine Technology Toyota Motor Corporation brochure November 1990
- CHRYSLER Readies Small, Two-Stroke Car for'95 MOTOR TREND August 1991
- Mc COSH DAN Car makers race to produce Two-Strokes Popular Science July 1990 72 75
- DELEPLACE C. The PSA - Renault Project on Two- Stroke SI Engine for Passenger Car Application IFP International Seminar 1993
- NOMURA K. NAKAMURA N. Development of a New Two Stroke Engine with Poppet Valves: Toyota S-2 Engine IFP International Seminar 1993
- DURET P. The Key Points for the Development of an Automotive Spark Ignition Two-Stroke Engine IME C 389/278 Fisita paper 925021 London June 1992
- BLUNDELL D.W. SANDFORD M.H. Two-Stroke Engines: The Lotus Approach SAE 920779
- SMITH D. AHERN S. The Low Emission Orbital Combustion Process (OCP) Two-Stroke Engine ATA May 94
- DURET P. VENTURI S. Automotive Calibration of the IAPAC Fluid Dynamically Controlled Two-Stroke Combustion Process SAE 960363
- DOPSON C. DRAKE T. Emissions Optimization by Cam Profile Switching SAE 910838
- MONNIER G. DURET P. Method for the pneumatic injection of fuel into a two-stroke engine and corresponding two-stroke engine
- DABADIE J.C. DURET P. BLUNDELL D. ALLEN J. RIACH A.B. Mc GRUER J. Pressure Charged Automotive Two-Stroke Engine Concept for the Year 2000 SIA Paris 15 11 94
- DURET P. DABADIE JC. LAVY J. ALLEN J. BLUNDELL D. OSCARSSON J. EMANUELSSON G. PEROTTI M. KENNY R. CUNNINGHAM G. Innovative Design and Simulation Study of the ELEVATE Automotive Engine Project EAEC Barcelona July 1999
- LAVY J. DABADIE JC. ANGELBERGER C. DURET P. JURETZKA A. SCHÄFLEIN J. MA T. LENDRESSE Y. SATRE A. SCHULZ C. KRÄMER H. ZHAO H. DAMIANO L. Innovative Ultra Low NOX Controlled Auto-Ignition Combustion Process for Gasoline Engines: the 4-SPACE project SAE Spring Fuels & Lubs Paris June 2000 SAE 2000-01-1837
- ISHIBASHI Y. TSUSHIMA Y. A Trial for Stabilizing Combustion in Two-Stroke Engines at Part Throttle Operation IFP International Seminar “A New Generation of Two-stroke Engines for the Future?” November 29-30 1993 Ed. Technip
- SHAWCROSS D. PUMPHREY C. ARNALL D. A Five-million Kilometre, 100-vehicle Fleet Trial, of an Air-Assist Direct Fuel Injected, Automotive 2-stroke Engine SAE paper Detroit March 2000
- ISHIBASHI Y. Basic Understanding of Activated Radical Combustion and its Two-Stroke Engine Application and Benefits SAE Spring Fuels & Lubs Paris June 2000 SAE 2000-01-1836