This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Design and Test of an Improved Crashworthiness Small Composite Airframe
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published May 09, 2000 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
The goals of this NASA Phase II SBIR program were to develop design methodology to improve occupant survivability in small composite airplanes. Current technology small airplanes absorb crash energy primarily in the cabin structure. The current study tried to increase strength of the occupant compartment and design energy absorbing structure outside the passenger compartment. Dynamics of the crash event were analyzed using a PC version of DYNA3D. Four full scale tests in two crash scenarios were conducted at the NASA Impact Dynamics Test Facility with test parameters set to allow direct comparison with prior NASA/FAA tests. Results indicate that occupant survivability can be improved with moderate weight penalty.
CitationTerry, J., "Design and Test of an Improved Crashworthiness Small Composite Airframe," SAE Technical Paper 2000-01-1673, 2000, https://doi.org/10.4271/2000-01-1673.
- National Transportation Safety Board, General Aviation Crashworthiness Project: Phase Two -- Impact Severity and Potential Injury Prevention in General Aviation Accidents NTSB/SR-85/01 March 1985
- National Transportation Safety Board, General Aviation Crashworthiness Project: Phase III -- Acceleration Loads and Velocity Changes of Survivable General Aviation Accidents NTSB/SR- 85/02 September, 1985
- AOPA’S 1993 Aviation Fact Card Aircraft Owners and Pilots Association 1993-1995
- National Transportation Safety Board, Annual Review of Aircraft Accident Data, U.S. General Aviation Calendar Year 1982 NTSB/ARG-86/01 February 1986
- Aircraft Crash Survival Design Guide Simula, Inc. USARTC-TR-79-22 January 1980
- Vaughan, Victor L. Jr. Hayduk, Robert J., Crash Tests of Four Identical High-Wing Single-Wing Airplanes NASA Technical Paper 1699 1980
- Castle, Claude B. Alfaro-Bou, Emilio, Crash Tests of Three Identical Low-Wing Single-Engine Airplanes NASA Technical Paper 2190 1983
- Terry, James E., Hooper, Steven J. Dr. Nicholson, Mark, Design and Test of an Improved Crashworthiness Small Composite Airframe Phase I Report, NASA SBIR Contract NAS1-20178 1994
- Cheng, Robert Y. K. Soil Analyses and Evaluations at the Impact Dynamics Research Facility for Two Full-Scale Aircraft Crash Tests NASA Contractor Report 159199 December 1977
- Vaughan, Victor L. Jr. Alfaro-Bou, Emilio Impact Dynamics Research Facility for Full-Scale Aircraft Crash Testing NASA TN D-8179 1976
- Strength of Metal Aircraft Elements ANC-5 Bulletin 1955
- General Plastics Last-A-Foam FR-3700 for Crash & Fire Protection of Nuclear Material Shipping Containers General Plastics Manufacturing Company 1993
- Jones, N. Structural Impact Cambridge University Press 1989
- Standard Test Method for Bearing Ratio of Soils in Place ASTM D 4429 84 1984
- Terry, James E., Hooper, Steven J. Dr. Nicholson, Mark, Design and Test of an Improved Crashworthiness Small Composite Airframe Phase II Report, NASA SBIR Contract NAS1-20178, 1994 NASA Contractor Report to be published