This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Effect of Injection Parameters on Diesel Spray Characteristics
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published April 02, 2000 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
Event: Future Car Congress
This paper reports efforts to study the effect of various injection parameters on macro characteristics of diesel sprays generated by a state-of-the-art common-rail injection system. The main purpose is to validate and extend various correlations available in the literature to the case of sprays generated by common-rail injection systems which are characterized by high injection pressures and small orifice diameters. Experiments were conducted by spraying into a quiescent atmosphere at room temperature. Densities close to in-cylinder conditions at the start of injection were established using pressurized nitrogen. While the measured macro characteristics - spray penetration length and spray cone angle - agreed well with established correlations, distinct deviations could be observed. Possible explanations for such deviations are discussed.
CitationGupta, S., Poola, R., and Sekar, R., "Effect of Injection Parameters on Diesel Spray Characteristics," SAE Technical Paper 2000-01-1600, 2000, https://doi.org/10.4271/2000-01-1600.
- Dent, J. C. “A Basis for Comparison of Various Experimental Methods for Studying Spray Penetration” SAE Transactions 80 SAE paper No. 710571 1971
- Hay, N. Jones, P. “Comparison of the Various Correlations for Spray Penetration” SAE paper No. 720776 1972
- Hiroyasu, H. “Diesel Engine Combustion and Its Modeling” 53 COMODIA 1985
- Bracco, F. V. “Modeling of Engine Sprays” SAE paper 850394 1985
- Schihl, P. Bryzik, W. Atreya, A. “Analysis of Current Spray Penetration models and Proposal of a Phenomenological Cone Penetration Model” SAE paper No. 960773
- Han, J-S. Wang, T.C. Lai, M-C. “Common Rail Diesel Fuel Injection System Dynamics and Spray Characterization” 12 th Annual conference of ILASS Indianapolis, IN May 1999
- Lai, M-C. Wang, T. Xie, X. Han, J-S. Henein, N. Schwartz, E. Bryzik, W. “Microscopic Characterization of Diesel Sprays at VCO Nozzle Exit” SAE paper No. 982542 1998
- Naber, J. D. Siebers, D. L. “Effects of Gas density and Vaporization on Penetration and dispersion of Diesel Sprays” SAE paper 960034 1996
- Arregle, J. Pastor, J. V. Ruiz, S. “The Influence of Injection Parameters on Diesel Spray Characteristics” SAE Paper 1999-01-0200
- Witze, P.O. “The Impulsively Started Gas jet” Sandia Report SAND 80-8617 1980
- Araneo, L. Coghe, A. Brunello, A. Cossali, G. E. “Experimental Investigation of Gas Density Effects on Diesel Spray Penetration and Entrainment” SAE paper 1999-01-0525 1999
- Hiroyasu, H. Arai, M. “Fuel Spray Penetration and Spray angle in Diesel Engines” Trans. of SAE of Japan 21 5 11 1980
- Rajalingam, B. V. Farrell, P. V. “The Effect of Injection Pressure on Air Entrainment Into Transient Diesel Sprays” SAE paper No. 1999-01-0523 1999