This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Fuel Atomization of a Multiple-hole Nozzle Injector
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published January 15, 2000 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
Fuel atomization is known as an effective means of reducing the exhaust emissions of internal combustion engines. We have focused on a multiple-hole nozzle as a cost-effective atomization method that does not require any auxiliary devices or an external energy source to carry out atomization.
In this report, we will discuss the facts that 1) the primary factors of atomization with the multiple-hole nozzle lie in the flow upstream of the nozzle, and 2) the atomization characteristics such as spray droplet diameter and spray spatial distribution when the factors which effect atomization with the multiple-hole nozzle are changed.
As a result, with our newly developed 12-hole nozzle injector in an actual engine, we found an HC reduction effect greater than that of a conventional air-assist injector.
CitationTani, Y., Mori, Y., Mochizuki, K., and Suzuki, A., "Fuel Atomization of a Multiple-hole Nozzle Injector," SAE Technical Paper 2000-01-1428, 2000, https://doi.org/10.4271/2000-01-1428.
- Takeda K. Yaegashi T. Sekiguchi K. Saito K. Imatake N. “Mixture Preperation and HC Emissions of a 4-valve Engine with Port Injection during Cold Starting and Warm-up” SAE paper 950074 1995
- Saito A. Kawamura K. Tanasawa Y. “Improvement of Fuel Atomization in Electronic Fuel Injector by Air Flow” ICLASS-'88 263 270 1988
- Saikailis G. Byers R. Nogi T. “Study on Air Assist Fuel Injector Atomization and Effects on Exhaust Emission Reduction” SAE paper 930323 1993
- Abthoff Von J. Huttebraucker D. Zahn W. Bockel H. “Die neuen Vierventil-Ottomotoren fur die mittlere Braureihe von Mercedes-Benz (Germany)” MTZ 53 496 508 1992
- Rivette S. M. Evers L. W. “Compound Port Fuel Injector Nozzle Droplet Sizes and Spray Patterns” SAE paper 960114 1996
- Heyse J. Schats F. Ader B. Schlerfer J. Haubold S. “Electroformed Multilayer Orifice Plate for Improved Fuel Injection Characteristics” SAE paper 971070 1997
- Arcoumanis C. Gavaises M. Nouri J. M. Abdul-Wahab E. Horrocks R. W. “Analysis of the Flow in the Nozzle of a Vertical Multi Hole Diesel Engine Injector” SAE paper 98811 1998
- Tani Y. Mori Y. Mochizuki K. “Multiple-hole Nozzle Atomization for SI Engines” SAE paper 1999-01-0564 1999