This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
The Effects of Outlet Geometry on Automotive Demister Performance
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published March 06, 2000 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
Event: SAE 2000 World Congress
The established method of clearing a misted car windshield or of maintaining a clear view under misting conditions is through the application of an air supply via jet outlets in the instrument panel. The ability of such arrangements to perform adequately is a function of the prevailing environmental conditions, the vehicle speed, the condition of the demist air source and the geometry and arrangement of the jet outlets.
This paper presents experimental data obtained in a purpose built environmental chamber designed to accommodate simple rectangular jets impinging on a misted glass surface. The facility consists of three conditioned air sources applied to a test chamber designed to represent the external, internal and demist air flows. Mist conditions on the glass surface are determined using a novel technique employing a CCD camera acquiring grey scale images which are digitally analysed to generate mist detection, grading and clearing contour data. The test facility and mist analysis techniques are described.
Transient jet performance is investigated in a parametric study that addresses the effects of jet aspect ratio, offset, impingement angle and mean volume flow rate on clearing performance. Results are presented in terms of parameters derived from the images recorded during the clearing process. These parameters include rate of clearing terms, breakthrough time and location of clearing centre relative to geometric impingement point.
Steady state performance is presented for a number of representative geometries by examining the size of the clear area for a range of interior humidity levels.
CitationCole, J., Passmore, M., and Rice, E., "The Effects of Outlet Geometry on Automotive Demister Performance," SAE Technical Paper 2000-01-1277, 2000, https://doi.org/10.4271/2000-01-1277.
SAE 2000 Transactions Journal of Passenger Cars - Mechanical Systems
Number: V109-6; Published: 2001-09-15
Number: V109-6; Published: 2001-09-15
- Boaz, P. Youngs, J. “Electrically Heatable Windshield and Backlite System” SAE Paper No. 740157
- Takada, H. “Antifrost System of Windshield” SAE Paper No. 890024
- Atkinson, W. Muchnij, B. “Wax Method of Determining Windshield Defroster Performance” SAE Paper No. 720504
- Yamamoto, K. Hill, W. “Interior Flow Visualization of a Small Pick–Up Truck and A/C Feeling Estimate” SAE Paper No. 900082
- Kohnotou, T. Iwamoto, Y. Hoshiawa, K. Nagataki, M. “Optimum Design of Defroster Nozzle” SAE Paper No. 920167
- Sakamoto, H. Watanabe, T. Taniguchi, F. “An Analysis of Frost Formation on Vehicle Windows” SAE Paper No. 870028
- Seban, R. “Heat Transfer and Effectiveness for a Turbulent Boundary Layer with Tangential Fluid Injection” Journal of Heat Transfer Transactions of ASME Nov. 1960 303 312
- Willenborg, K. Foss, J. AbdulNour, R. McGrath, J. AbdulNour B. “A Model Defroster Flow” 11th Turbulent Shear Flows Symposium Grenoble, France Sept. 8 – 11 1997
- Baugh, J. Hechanova, A. Yan, X. “An Experimental Study of Entrainment Effects on the Heat Transfer from a Flat Surface to a Heated Circular Impinging Jet” International Journal of Heat and Mass Transfer 113 Nov. 1991 1023 1025
- Burch, S. Hassani, V. Penney, T. “Use of Infra– Red Thermography for Automotive Climate Control Analysis” SAE Paper No. 931136
- Smirnov, V. Verevochkin, G. Brdlick, P. “Heat Transfer Between a Jet and a Held Plater Normal to the Flow” International Journal of Heat and Mass Transfer 2 1961 1 7
- Cole, J. Passmore, M. “An Experimental Study of Automotive Glass Demisting” 2nd MIRA International Conference on Vehicle Aerodynamics Hilton National Hotel Coventry, UK 20 – 21 October 1998
- Sparrow, E. Lovell, B. “Heat Transfer Characteristics of an Obliquely Impinging Circular Jet” Journal of Heat Transfer Transactions of ASME 102 May 1980
- Tien, K. Sparrow, E. “Local Heat Transfer and Fluid Flow Characteristics for Airflow Oblique or Normal to a Square Plate” International Journal of Heat and Mass Transfer 22 349 360 1979
- Kim, D. Yoon, S. Lee, D. Kim, K. “Flow and Heat Transfer Measurements of a Wall Attaching Offset Jet” International Journal of Heat and Mass Transfer 39 14 2907 2913 1996
- Sforza, P. Herbst, G. “A Study of 3–D, Incompressible, Turbulent Wall Jets” AIAA Journal 8 2 February 1970
- Bakke, P. “An Experimental Investigation of a Wall Jet” Journal of Fluid Mechanics 2 1957 467
- Glauert, M. “The Wall Jet” Journal of Fluid Mechanics 1 1956 625