This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Structural Properties of Thermoplastic Composites Molded and Finished by the Valyi Surface Finishing/Compression Molding Process
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published March 06, 2000 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
Event: SAE 2000 World Congress
Class “A” automotive parts with a 1.6 square meter surface area were produced using a new process of surface finishing/compression molding SFC (The Valyi SFC™ Process (1). In the process a precut Class “A” film finish blank was placed over the mold cavity of a vertical press. Molten plastic was extruded onto the film, reinforcing layers added, and the mold was closed. In this SFC process, the melt, deposited directly onto the film-backing layer, heats the film finish and causes it to become pliable for forming. This process eliminates the need for painting and produces large parts at low clamp forces. This paper reports the materials and process that were used to produce full sized development parts that demonstrate the capability for production of large structural panels such as roof tops, hoods, or trunk lids. In order to achieve the strength and stiffness requirements, continuous fiber reinforcements were moled into the parts. This SFC technology is especially well suited for the addition of these reinforcements.
- Arthur Delusky - ValTek LLC
- Stephen McCarthy - Valyi Institute for Plastic Forming, University of Massachusetts Lowell
- Qing Guan - Valyi Institute for Plastic Forming, University of Massachusetts Lowell
- Chetan Makadia - Valyi Institute for Plastic Forming, University of Massachusetts Lowell
- Thomas Ellison - Valyi Institute for Plastic Forming, University of Massachusetts Lowell
CitationMcCarthy, S., Guan, Q., Makadia, C., Ellison, T. et al., "Structural Properties of Thermoplastic Composites Molded and Finished by the Valyi Surface Finishing/Compression Molding Process," SAE Technical Paper 2000-01-1130, 2000, https://doi.org/10.4271/2000-01-1130.
- Ellison T.M. McCarthy S.P. Delusky A.K. “Surface Finishing/Compression Molding (SFC): The Valyi Process” Society of Automotive Engineers Technical Congress and Exposition Detroit, Michigan March 3 1999
- McCarthy S.P. Guan Q. Patel S.R. Ellison T.M. Delusky A.K. “A New Approach for In-mold Finishing” Society of Plastics Engineers Technical Papers, 57 th Annual Technical Conference and Exhibits NY, NY May 5 1999