This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Trends in Engine Valve Development for Automobiles and Motorcycles
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published March 06, 2000 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
Event: SAE 2000 World Congress
Engine valve development trends are to first, reduce the costly metal content and secondly, increase strength or reduce weight. These developments can be used to reduce valve cost or fuel consumption or increase power. The authors developed a new strain age hardening type alloy, NCF2415C, which has both good cold forgeability and heat resistance. Its chemical composition is Fe-24Ni-15Cr-2.2Ti-1.5Al-0.5Nb-0.02C-.006B-2Cu. This new alloy and the establishment f cold forging technology made it possible to develop cold forged exhaust valves having durability equal or better than the conventional hot forged exhaust valves.
CitationOketani, H., Ishida, M., Noda, T., Ueta, S. et al., "Trends in Engine Valve Development for Automobiles and Motorcycles," SAE Technical Paper 2000-01-0907, 2000, https://doi.org/10.4271/2000-01-0907.
- OkabeM., IsobeS., Electric Furnace Steel, 58(1987,122)
- Aerospace Structural Materials Handbook: Mechanical Properties Data Center, Belfour Stulen. Inc., (1987), Code1601,12
- BrownE.E., MuzykaD.R.: Superalloys II, Edited by SimsC.T., N. and HagelW.C., Published by John Wiley&Sons, (1987),165
- WatanabeR.,Hitachi Metals Technical Review, Vol.3 (1987), 2
- HagiwaraY., IshidaM., OkaT., SAE paper 910429(1991)
- HagiwaraY., IshidaM., OkaT., HONDA R&D Technical Review Vol.4, 63 (1992)
- HamanoS., NagashimaT., NodaT., OkabeM., Electric Furnace Steel, 67(1996), 95
- KiriyamaM., SasakuraT., Valvetrain System Design and Materials, eds.BoltonH.A. snd LarsonJ.M., Asm International, Materials Park, OH (1997) 19
- SatoK., TakagiY., SakaT., Valvetrain System Design and Materials, eds.BoltonH.A. snd LarsonJ.M., Asm International, Materials Park, OH (1997) 87
- TunnecliffeT., Valvetrain System Design and Materials, eds.BoltonH.A. snd LarsonJ.M., Asm International, Materials Park, OH (1997) 99
- SatoK., SakaT., OhnoT., NodaT., HONDA R&D Technical Review, 9(1997), 185
- OkabeM., The Special Steel, 48(1999), No2, 47
- IshidaM., OketaniH., The Proceedings of The 1999 Japanese Spring Conference for The Technology of Plasticity, (1999), 263
- UetaS., NodaT., OkabeM., IshidaM., OketaniH., Electric Furnace Steel, 70 (1999), 205