This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
On CFD and Transient Flow in Vehicle Aerodynamics
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published March 06, 2000 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
Event: SAE 2000 World Congress
The accuracy of computational fluid dynamics, CFD, has improved considerably over the years but still, large errors are present and vehicle parameters such as drag and lift are often poorly predicted.
The current work is investigating how transient CFD would cope with a very complex flow structure around a surface mounted cube. A transient Reynolds averaged Navier Stokes model, RANS model, is presented together with a large eddy simulation model, LES model. Furthermore, two “industrial like” test cases have been simulated using a transient RANS model.
CitationPerzon, S. and Davidson, L., "On CFD and Transient Flow in Vehicle Aerodynamics," SAE Technical Paper 2000-01-0873, 2000, https://doi.org/10.4271/2000-01-0873.
- Adams S., The Dilbert future. Thriving on stupidity in the 21st century., 1st edition, HarperCollins Publishers Inc., ISBN 0-88730-866-X, 1997
- Aoki K., Ohbayashi T., Zhu M. and Miyata H. (1993), Finite-volume simulation of 3-D vortical flow-fields about road vehicles with various after-body configuration,, SAE technical paper 931896
- Axelsson, N., Ramnefors, M. and Gustafson, R. (1998) Accuracy in Computational Aerodynamics, Part 1: Stagnation Pressure, SAE Technical Paper 980037.
- Duell E. G. and George A. R. (1992), Unsteady wakes of three dimensional bodies, In Bluff-body wakes, dynamics and instabilities, Eds. Eckelmann et. al., Springer-Verlag, 1992, pp. 293-296
- Garry K. P., Macklin A. R. and van Opstal E. P. E. (1994), Measurement of transient aerodynamic loads on bluff bodies at extreme yaw angles, In Vehicle aerodynamics, The Royal Aeronautical society, Loughborough Univ. Of Tech., UK, July 18-19, 1994
- Horinouchi N., Kato Y., Shinano S., Kondoh T. and Tagayashi Y. (1995), Numerical investigation of vehicle aerodynamics with overlaid grid system,, SAE technical paper 950628
- Hucho W.-H. (1998), Aerodynamics of road vehicles, 4th edition, ISBN 0-7680-0029-7, SAE
- Ishihara Y. and Takagi M. (1999), Unsteady pressure analysis of the wake flow behind a passanger car model, SAE technical paper 990810
- Jones, W. P. and Launder, B. E. (1972) The prediction of laminarization with a two-equation model of turbulence, Int. J. of Heat and Mass Transfer 15, 310-314
- Kataoka T., China H., Nakagawa K., Yanagimoto K. and Yoshida M. (1991), Numerical simulation of road vehicle aerodynamics and effect of aerodynamic devices, SAE technical paper 910597
- Krajnovic S. and Davidson L. (1999) Large eddy simulation of the flow around a surface mounted cube using a one-equation subgrid model, In the first international symp. on turbulence and shear flow phenomena, Santa Barbara, Sept 12-15 1999
- Martinuzzi R. And Tropea C., (1993), The Flow Around a Surface-Mounted, Prismatic Obstacles Placed in a Fully Developed Channel Flow, J. Fluids Eng. pp. 85-91, Vol. 115, March.
- Murakami S. (1998) Overview of turbulence models applied in CWE-1997, J. of Wind Eng. and Industrial Aerodynamics, 74-76, pp. 1-24
- Perzon, S. (1997) Reynolds Stress Modeling of Flow Separation on Curved Surfaces, Thesis for the degree of Licenciate of Engineering, Chalmers University of Technology, Göteborg, Sweden
- Perzon, S., Sjögren, T., and Jönson, A., (1998) Accuracy in Computational Aerodynamics, Part 2: Base pressure, SAE Technical Paper 980038.
- Perzon S., Janson J. and Höglin L., (1999), On comparisons between CFD methods and wind tunnel tests on a bluff body, SAE technical paper 990805
- Ramnefors, M., Bensryd, R., Holmberg, E., and Perzon, S. (1996) Accuracy of Drag Predictions on Cars Using CFD - Effect of Grid Refinement and Turbulence Models, SAE Technical Paper 960681.
- Shih, T. H., Zhu, J. and Lumley, J. L. (1993) A realizable Reynolds stress algebraic equation model, NASA tech. Memo. 105993
- Smagorinsky J., Manabe S. and Halloway J. L. (1965), Numerical results from a nine-level general circulation model of the atmosphere, Monthly weather review, 93, Dec 1965, pp. 727-768
- Summa J. M. (1992), Steady and unsteady computational aerodynamics simulations of the Corvette ZR-1, SAE technical paper 921092
- Tsuboi K., Shirayama S. Oana M. and Kuwahara K. (1988), Computational study of the effect of base slant, In 2nd International Conference on supercomputing in the automotive industry, Seville Spain
- Yamada A. and Ito S. (1993), Computational analysis of flow around a simplified vehicle-like body, SAE technical paper 930293