This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Power Steering System Key-Life Test Procedure Development
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published March 06, 2000 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
Event: SAE 2000 World Congress
As part of an effort to develop a laboratory steering system durability test, power steering system test procedure development was conducted. Fatigue damage to steering systems caused by road roughness was quantified utilizing data recorded from instrumented test vehicles and customer survey results. In addition, data recorded from customer vehicles were employed to determine fatigue damage to steering systems caused by driving style and road style inputs. Proving ground steering system test procedures that generate the same amount of damage to a steering system as that accumulated by the design target percentile customer for the design target miles of public road usage were developed.
CitationWang, J., Moore, G., and Muddiman, M., "Power Steering System Key-Life Test Procedure Development," SAE Technical Paper 2000-01-0785, 2000, https://doi.org/10.4271/2000-01-0785.
- Wang, J. Z., Muddiman, M. W., and Moore, G. R., “Structural Correlation of Automotive Proving Grounds to China Customer Field Usage” Proceedings of the Seventh International Fatigue Congress, Vol. 4, pp 2379-2384, 1999
- Ludes, R. and Steeples, B., “Road Load and Customer Data from the Vehicle Data Bus - A New Approach for Quality Improvement” SAE 1999-01-0948
- Bannantine, J. A., Comer, J. J., and Handrock, J. L., “Fundamentals of Metal Fatigue Analysis” ISBN 0-13-340191-X
- Ensor, D., “Customer Correlation and Accelerated Proving” Engineering Integrity, Vol. 6, pp 18-25, July, 1999
- Haibach, E., Fischer, R., Schutz, W., and Huck, M., “A Standard Random Load Sequence of Gaussian Type Recommended for General Application in Fatigue Testing: Its Mathematical Background and Digital Generation” Fatigue Testing and Design, Vol. 2, pp. 29.1 - 29.21, SEE International Conference, 1976
- Wang, J. Z. and Mahoney, B. J., “Evaluation of the E150 Full Vehicle Steering Durability Tests and Comparison to Fleet Usage” Internal Report - Customer Correlation, Ford, 1997