This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Damage Characterization and Damage Percolation Modelling in Aluminum Alloy Sheet
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published March 06, 2000 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
Event: SAE 2000 World Congress
Tessellation methods have been applied to characterize second phase particle fields and the degree of clustering present in AA 5754 and 5182 automotive sheet alloys. A model of damage development within these materials has been developed using a damage percolation approach based on measured particle distributions. The model accepts tessellated particle fields in order to capture the spatial distributions of particles, as well as nearest neighbour and cluster parameter data. The model demonstrates how damage initiates and percolates within particle clusters in a stable fashion for the majority of the deformation history. Macro-cracking leading to final failure occurs as a chain reaction with catastrophic void linkage triggered once linkage beyond three or more clusters of voids takes place.
CitationWorswick, M., Pilkey, A., Lloyd, D., and Court, S., "Damage Characterization and Damage Percolation Modelling in Aluminum Alloy Sheet," SAE Technical Paper 2000-01-0773, 2000, https://doi.org/10.4271/2000-01-0773.
- Pilkey, A.K. Fowler J.P. Worswick M.J. Burger G. Lloyd D.J. Characterizing Particle Contributions in Model Aluminum Alloy Systems Microstructural Science 22 ASM 1995
- Pilkey, A.K. Worswick, M.J. Thomson, C.I.A. Lloyd, D.J. Burger, G. Effect of Second Phase Particle Distribution on the Formability of Al-Si Sheet Advances in Industrial Materials Wilkinson D.S. Poole W.J. Alpus A. The Metallurgical Society of CIM 1998
- Worswick, M.J. Pilkey, A.K. Thomson, C.I.A. Lloyd, D.J. Burger, G. Percolation Damage Predictions Based on Measured Second Phase Particle Distributions Proc. IMS Northwood D. Shehata M. Ottawa, ON, Canada July 26-29 1998
- Teirlinck, D. Ashby M.F. Embury J.D. Damage Accumulation During Ductile Rupture and the Development of Failure Maps Advances in Fracture Research (Fracture 84) 1984
- Embury, J.D. Metallurgical Transactions A 16A 2191 2200 1985
- LeRoy, G. Embury J.D. Edward G. Ashby M.F. Acta Metallurgica 29 1509 1522 1981
- Fisher, J.R. Gurland J. Metal Science 193 202 1981
- Thomson, C.I.A Worswick M.J. Pilkey, A.K. Lloyd D.J. Burger G. J. Mech. Phys Sol. 47 1 26 1999
- Brown, L.M. Embury J.D. The Initiation and Growth of Voids at Second Phase Particles Proceedings 3rd International Conference on Strength of Metals and Alloys Institute of Metals London 164 169 1973
- Dubensky, E.M. Koss D.A. Met. Trans. A 18A 1887 1895 1987
- Jun Sun Engng. Frac. Mechanics 39 799 805 1991
- Worswick, M.J. Finn, M.J. Galbraith, C. Influence of Yield Criteria on the Prediction of Formability During Stretch Flange Forming Proceedings Plasticity '99 Khan Akhtar Jan. 3-19 1999