This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Simulation of Thermal and Hydrodynamic Performance of Laminate Evaporators
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published March 06, 2000 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
Event: SAE 2000 World Congress
The thermal and hydrodynamic performance of laminate (plate type) evaporators is simulated by using the computer program developed earlier by the author (Mathur, 1997). The correlations for predicting heat transfer, pressure drop, void fraction are used from the literature. The working fluid used in this investigation is R-134a. The simulated performance is compared with the experimentally obtained data from the calorimeter tests. The simulated thermal and hydrodynamic performance is within ″9% of the experimental data. Detailed performance data has been presented in this paper.
CitationMathur, G., "Simulation of Thermal and Hydrodynamic Performance of Laminate Evaporators," SAE Technical Paper 2000-01-0573, 2000, https://doi.org/10.4271/2000-01-0573.
SAE 2000 Transactions Journal of Passenger Cars - Mechanical Systems
Number: V109-6 ; Published: 2001-09-15
Number: V109-6 ; Published: 2001-09-15
- ASHRAE 1997. Handbook, Fundamentals.
- Bergles, A.E., Collier, J.G., Delhaya, J.M., Hewitt, G.F., Mayinger, F. 1981. Two-phase flow and heat transfer in the power and process industries, Hemisphere publishing corporation.
- Davis, E.J. and David, M.M. 1961. Heat transfer to high quality stream-water mixtures in a horizontal rectangular duct. Canadian Journal of Chemical Engineering, Vol 19, June.
- Eckel, S.J. and Pate, M.B. 1991. In-tube evaporation and condensation of refrigerant-lubricant mixtures of HFC-134a and CFC-12. ASHRAE Transactions, Vol 97, Pt 2, pp 62-70.
- Giri, N.K, 1977. “Pressure drop in adiabatic two-phase, two-component flow on 180E bends.” Indian Journal of Technology, Vol 15, pp 1-7.
- Kawai, H., Hirao, Y., Aoki, Y., Ishii, K., Hayashi, M., Iyokawa, H. 1993. Study on a laminate-type evaporator of automobile air conditioning system. Society of Automotive Engineers, SAE, Paper # 930147.
- Lee, K.H., Won, J.P. 1999. Thermal and hydraulic analysis of compact evaporator for automotive air-conditioning system, VTMS4, Society of Automotive Engineers, pp 91-104.
- Lockhart, R.W., and Martinelli, R.C. 1949. “Proposed correlation of data for isothermal two-phase, two-component flow in pipes.” Chemical Engineering Prog., Vol. 45, No. 1, pp 39-48.
- Mathur, G.D. 1994. Summary of the calorimeter tests for laminate evaporators, Zexel Report # OT-CEU-0007.
- Mathur, G.D. 1995. Performance of laminate evaporators, Zexel Report # OT-CEU-0010.
- Mathur, G.D. 1993. Alternatives takes on R-12. Engineered Systems, Vol 10, No 7, September, pp 49-53.
- Mathur, G.D. 1997. Modeling and simulation of thermal and hydrodynamic performance of heat exchangers for automotive applications - Part II: Evaporators. New Developments in Heat Exchangers for Automotive Design (SP-1262), SAE, Paper # 970830, pp 21-30.
- Mathur, G.D. 1998. Performance of serpentine heat exchangers. Society of Automotive Engineers, SAE Paper # 980057.
- Mathur, G.D. & Goswami, D.Y. 1996. An experimental investigation of the effect of moisture on the performance of an air-conditioning system. 31st Intersociety Energy Conversion Conference, Vol 3, pp 2021-2026.
- Ohara, T., Takahashi, T. 1988. High performance evaporator development. Society of Automotive Engineers, SAE Paper # 80047.
- Rohsenow, W.M. 1952. A method of correlating heat transfer data for surface boiling liquids, ASME Transactions, Vol 74, pp 969-976.
- Rohsenow, W.M., Harnett, J.P. 1973. Handbook of heat transfer, McGraw-Hill, New York.
- Rhee, R.W., Young, E.H. 1974. Heat transfer to boiling refrigerants flowing inside a plain copper tube, AIChE symposium series, Vol 70, No 138, pp 64-70.
- Sieder, E.N. and Tate, G.E. 1936. “Heat transfer and pressure drop in liquids in tubes.” Industrial and Engineering Chemistry, Vol. 28, No. 12, p 1429.
- Trauger, P.E., & Hughes, G.G. 1993. Construction and performance of the PFE evaporator. Society of Automotive Engineers, SAE Paper # 930155.