This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Ion Sensing for Combustion Stability Control of a Spark Ignited Direct Injected Engine
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published March 06, 2000 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
Event: SAE 2000 World Congress
The combustion stability of a direct injected spark ignited engine depends on the injection timing and it is desirable to have controller that minimizes the combustion variability.
A novel approach for determining combustion stability in stratified mode is presented that rely on the ionization current and enables closed loop control of the injection timing. The co-efficient of variation for IMEP is used as a measure of combustion stability and a connection between maximum torque and low combustion variability is pointed out. The coefficient of variation of the ion current integral is well correlated with the coefficient of variation for IMEP. Furthermore, it is shown how the integral of the ion current together with COV(ion integral) can be used to determine the combustion stability and to distinguish high combustion stability from misfire.
CitationAndersson, I. and Eriksson, L., "Ion Sensing for Combustion Stability Control of a Spark Ignited Direct Injected Engine," SAE Technical Paper 2000-01-0552, 2000, https://doi.org/10.4271/2000-01-0552.
- Kano Masao Saito Kimitaka Basaki Masatoshi Matsushita Souichi Gohno Takeshi Analysis of mixture formation of direct injection gasoline engine SAE SP-1314, (SAE Paper 980157 47 55 1998
- Kuwhara Kazunari Ueda Katsunori Ando Hiromitsu Mixing control strategy for engine performance improvement in a gasoline direct injection engine SAE Paper 980152 1998
- Asano Morito Kuma Tetsu Kajitani Mitsunobu Tekeuchi Manabu Development of new ion current combustion control system SAE paper 980162 1998
- Auzins J. Johansson H. Nytomt J. Ion-gap sense in missfire detection, knock and engine control SAE SP-1082, (SAE paper No. 950004 21 28 1995
- Balles Eric N. VanDyne Edward A. Wahl Alexandre M. Ratton Kenneth Lai Ming-Chi In-cylinder air/fuel ratio approximation using spark gap ionzation sensing SAE paper 980166 1998
- Collings Nick Dinsdale Steve Hands Tim Plug fouling investigations on a running engine - an application of a novel multi-purpose diagnostic system based on the spark plug SAE paper No. 912318 1991
- Daniels Chao F. The comparison of mass fraction burned obtained from the cylinder pressure signal and spark plug ion signal SAE Technical Paper 980140 1998
- Förster Jürgen Gunther Achim Ketterer Markus Wald Klaus-Jurgen Ion current sensing for spark ignition engines SAE 1999-01-0204 1999
- Hellring M. Munther T. Rögnvaldsson T. Wickström N. Carlsson C. Larsson M. Nytomt J. Robust AFR estimation using the ion current and neural networks SAE 1999-01-991161 1999
- Lee Anson Pyko Jan S. Engine misfire detection by ionization current monitoring SAE SP-1082, (SAE paper No. 950003 9 19 1995
- Shimasaki Yuichi Kanehiro Masaki Baba Shigeki Maruyama Shigeru Hisaki Takashi Miyata Shigeru Spark plug voltage analysis for monitoring combustion in an internal combustion engine SAE paper No. 930461 1993
- Saitzkoff André Reinmann Raymond Mauss Fabian In cylinder pressure measurements using the spark plug as an ionization sensor SAE paper No. 970857 187 197 1997
- Reinman Reimond Saitzkoff André Lassesson Bengt Strandh Petter Fuel and additive influend on the ion current SAE Technical Paper 980161 1998
- Eriksson Lars Nielsen Lars Nytomt Jan Ignition control by ionization current interpretation SAE SP-1149, (SAE paper No. 960045 73 79 1996
- Heywood J. B. Internal Combustion Engine Fundamentals McGraw-Hill series in mechanical engineering McGraw-Hill 1988