This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Numerical Aerodynamic Optimization of a Low Fuel Consumption Car Body Shape
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published March 06, 2000 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
Event: SAE 2000 World Congress
The present paper describes the procedure employed and the results obtained in a study on the aerodynamic characteristics of an experimental car. The aim of the study was to optimize the aerodynamic performance of a prototype developed for the 15th Shell Eco-Marathon Contest 1999. The aerodynamic optimization was conducted via a numerical study. The code employed solves the Navier-Stokes equations in a boundary-fitted coordinate system, using the SIMPLEC procedure. Turbulence effects upon the mean flow field were modeled using a low-Reynolds number k-ε turbulence model. The analysis of both the pressure distribution and the values for the aerodynamic coefficients allowed the tuning of the car shape in terms of aerodynamic performance.
CitationLopes, A. and Carvalheira, P., "Numerical Aerodynamic Optimization of a Low Fuel Consumption Car Body Shape," SAE Technical Paper 2000-01-0492, 2000, https://doi.org/10.4271/2000-01-0492.
- Braaten, M.E. Shyy, W. 1987 “Study of Pressure Correction Methods With Multigrid for Viscous Flow Calculation in Non-Orthogonal Curvilinear Coordinates” Numerical Heat Transfer 11 417 442
- Harlow, F.H. Welch, J.E. 1965 “Numerical Calculation of Time Dependent Viscous Incompressible Flow With a Free Surface” Physics of Fluids 8 2182 2189
- Lopes, A.M.G. “CANYON - A Computational Fluid Dynamics Code - Reference Guide” 1996
- Lopes, A.M.G. “FlowVis - A CAD Based Solution for the Graphical Post-Processing of Scalars and Vectors” Environmental Modelling & Software 12 2-3 161 168 1997
- Meroney, R.N. 1990 “Fluid Dynamics of Flow Over Hills/Mountains-Insights Obtained Through Physical Modeling” Atmospheric Processes Over Complex Terrain Blumen W. Meteorological Monographs American Meteorological Society 23 45 145 171
- Nagano, Y Hishida, M. 1987 “Improved Form of the k -ε Model for Wall Turbulent Shear Flows” Journal of Fluids Engineering 109 156 160
- Patankar, S.V. 1980 Numerical Heat Transfer and Fluid Flow Hemisphere Publishing Corporation Washington, D.C.
- Shyy, W. Tong, S.S. Correa, S.M. 1985 “Numerical Recirculating Flow Calculation Using a Body-Fitted Coordinate System” Numerical Heat Transfer 8 99 113
- Steger, J.L. Sorenson, R.L. 1979 “Automatic Mesh-Point Clustering Near a Boundary in Grid Generation with Elliptic Partial Differential Equations” Journal of Computational Physics 33 405 410
- Thomas, P.D. Middlecoff, J.F. 1979 “Direct Control of the Grid Point Distribution in Meshes Generated by Elliptic Equations” AIAA Journal 18 6 652 656
- Van Doormaal, J.P. Raithby, G.D. 1984 “Enhancements of the Simple Method for Predicting Incompressible Fluid Flows” Numerical Heat Transfer 7 147 163
- Zhang, C. Sousa, A.C.M. 1990 “Numerical Simulation of Turbulent Shear Flow in an Isothermal Heat Exchanger Model” Journal of Fluids Engineering 112 48 55