This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Parametric Study of Wake Structures and Forces of RectangularBodies with Radiused Edges Near a Plane Surface
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published March 06, 2000 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
Event: SAE 2000 World Congress
The work presented here is a further step in a continuing effort by the authors to study and document the aerodynamic effect of varying aspect ratio, ground clearance, and underbody roughness for basic rectangular shapes with radiused edges in ground effect.
Previous papers by the authors have presented extensive wake data for a range of aspect ratios and underbody roughness conditions. Force and moment data have been published for various aspect ratios, underbody roughness, and ground clearance. In this paper, additional wake data showing the effects of variation in ground clearance is presented. The focus of this paper is on analyses to make progress toward a rational correlation between body characteristics, the forces, and the measured wake properties.
A parametric analysis is presented linking the effects of the parameters varied in the study to the changes in the aerodynamic forces and moments. Results show correlations between the wake flows and the force results.
CitationBarlow, J., Guterres, R., and Ranzenbach, R., "Parametric Study of Wake Structures and Forces of RectangularBodies with Radiused Edges Near a Plane Surface," SAE Technical Paper 2000-01-0490, 2000, https://doi.org/10.4271/2000-01-0490.
Number: SP-1524; Published: 2000-03-06
Number: SP-1524; Published: 2000-03-06
- Barlow, J. B. Guterres, R. Ranzenbach, R. Williams, J. Wake Structures of Rectangular Bodies with Radiused Edges Near a Plane Surface SAE paper 1999-01-0648 , in SAE SP-1441 March 1999 13 36
- Williams, J. Barlow, J. B. Ranzenbach, R. Experimental Study of CD Variation with Aspect Ratio SAE paper 1999-01-0649 , in SAE SP-1441, March 1999 37 50
- Bearman, P. W. Developments in the Understanding of Bluff Body Flows JSME International Journal, Series B 41 1 1998 103 114
- Cogotti, A. A Strategy for Optimum Surveys of Passenger-Car Flow Fields SAE Paper 890374 , Society of Automotive Engineers Warrendale, Pa, 1989
- Onorato, M. Costelli, A. F. Garrone, A. Drag Measurements Through Wake Analysis SAE Paper 840302 ,. Society of Automotive Engineers Warrendale, Pa 1984
- Hackett, J. E. Williams, J. E. Patrick, J. Jr Wake Traverses Behind Production Cars and their Interpretation SAE Paper 850280 , Society of Automotive Engineers Warrendale, Pa 1985
- Ahmed, S. R. Ramm, G. Faltin, G. Some Salient Features of the Time Averaged Ground Vehicle Wake SAE Paper 840300 ., Society of Automotive Engineers Warrendale, Pa 1984
- Nakagushi, H. Recent Japanese Research on Three-Dimensional Bluff Body Flows Relevant to Road Vehicle Aerodynamics University of Tokyo Japan 1978
- Maull, D. J. Mechanisms of Two and Three- Dimensional Base Drag Cambridge University 1978
- Bearman, P. W. Near Wake Flows Behind Two and Three-Dimensional Bluff Bodies Journal of Wind Engineering and Industrial Aerodynamics 69 71 1997 33 54
- Tieleman, H. Editor, W. Progress in Bluff Body Aerodynamics proceedings of the 3rd International Colloquium on Bluff Body Aerodynamics and Applications Blacksburg, VA 1996
- Hoerner, S. F. Fluid Dynamic Drag Hoerner Fluid Dynamics Vancouver, WA 1965
- Gallington, R. W. Measurement of Very Large Flow Angles with Non-Nulling Seven-Hole Probes Aeronautics Digest-Spring/Summer 1980 USAFATR- 80-17, USAF Academy 1980
- Gupta, M. Comparison of Seven Hole and Spherical Pressure Probes Master of Science Thesis Department of Aerospace Engineering University of Maryland 1986
- Everett, K. N. Gerner, A. A. Durston, D. A. Seven-Hole Cone Probes for High Angle Flow Measurement: Theory and Calibration AIAA Journal 21 7 1983 992 998
- Maskell, E. C. A Theory of the Blockage Effects on Bluff Bodies and Stalled Wings in a Closed Wind Tunnel, ARC R&M 3400 1965
- Barlow J. Guterres R. Ranzenbach R. Rectangular Bodies with Radiused Edges in Ground Effect AIAA- 99-3153