This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Modeling Combined Braking and Steering Tire Forces
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published March 06, 2000 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
The force distributed over the contact patch between a tire and a road surface is typically modeled in component form for dynamic simulations. The two components in the plane of the contact patch are the braking, or traction force, and the steering, or side or cornering force. A third force distributed over the contacts patch is the normal force, perpendicular to the road surface. The two tangential components in the plane of the road are usually modeled separately since they depend primarily on independent parameters, wheel slip and sideslip. Mathematical expressions found in the literature for each component include exponential functions, piecewise linear functions and the Bakker-Nyborg-Pacejka equations, among others. Because braking and steering frequently occur simultaneously and their resultant tangential force is limited by friction, the two components must be properly combined for a full range of the wheel slip and sideslip parameters. This paper examines the way in which these two components are combined for an existing approach known as the Nicolas-Comstock model.
First, performance criteria for tire modeling are proposed. Then the Nicolas-Comstock model is examined relative to the criteria. As originally proposed, this model falls short of meeting the criteria over the full range of transverse and longitudinal wheel slip values and sideslip angles. A modified version of the Nicolas-Comstock model is presented that satisfies these performance criteria. Finally, comparisons are made of the Modified Nicolas-Comstock model to other combined tire force models and to existing tire force measurements.
|Technical Paper||A Non-steady and Non-linear Tire Model Under Large Lateral Slip Condition|
|Technical Paper||Analysis of the STI Tire Model|
|Technical Paper||Tire Performance Measurements-Wet and Dry|
CitationBrach, R. and Brach, R., "Modeling Combined Braking and Steering Tire Forces," SAE Technical Paper 2000-01-0357, 2000, https://doi.org/10.4271/2000-01-0357.
- Anonymous, Statement of Work, Truck Tire Characterization Phase 1 Part 2, SAE Cooperative Research Warrendale, PA, Funding by NHTSA Contract No. DTNH22-92-C-17189 April 6 1995
- Anonymous, SAE J670e - Vehicle Dynamics Terminology, SAE Recommended Practice, Warrendale, PA 15096.
- Bakker, E. Nyborg, L. Pacejka, H. B. 1987 Tyre Modeling for Use in Vehicle Dynamic Studies SAE Paper 870421 Warrendale, PA 15096
- d’Entremont, K. L., 1997 The Behavior of Tire-Force Model Parameters Under Extreme Operating Conditions SAE Paper 970558 Warrendale, PA 15096
- Gim, G. Nikravesh, P. E. 1990 An Analytical Model of Pneumatic Tyres for Vehicle Dynamic Simulations. Part 1: Pure Slips Int. J. of Vehicle Design 11 6.
- Gim, G. Nikravesh, P. E. 1991 An Analytical Model of Pneumatic Tyres for Vehicle Dynamic Simulations. Part 2: Comprehensive Slips Int. J. of Vehicle Design 12 n. 1.
- Gim, G. Nikravesh, P. E. 1991 An Analytical Model of Pneumatic Tyres for Vehicle Dynamic Simulations. Part 3: Validation Against Experimental Data Int. J. of Vehicle Design 12 n. 2.
- Nicolas, V. T. Comstock, T. R. 1972 Predicting Directional Behavior of Tractor Semitrailers When Wheel Anti-Skid Brake Systems Are Used”, Paper No. 72 - WA/Aut-16 ASME Winter Annual Meeting November 26-30
- Nguyen, P. K. Case, E. R. 1975 Tire Friction Models and Their Effect on Simulated Vehicle Dynamics, Proceedings of a Symposium on Commercial Vehicle Braking and Handling, UM-HSRI-PF- 75 6
- Pottinger, M. G. Pelz, W. Falciola, G. Effectiveness of the Slip Circle, “Combinator”, Model for Combined Tire Cornering and Braking Forces When Applied to a Range of Tires SAE Paper 982747 Warrendale, PA 15096
- Schuring, D. J. Pelz, W Pottinger, M. G. 1993 The BNPS Model - An Automated Implementation of the ’Magic Formula’ Concept SAE Paper 931909 , Warrendale, PA 15096
- Schuring, D. J. Pelz, W Pottinger, M. G. 1996 A Model for Combined Tire Cornering and Braking Forces SAE Paper 960180 Warrendale, PA 15096
- Warner, C. Y. Smith, G. C. James, M. B. Germane, G. J. 1983 Friction Applications in Accident Reconstruction SAE Paper 830612 Warrendale, PA 15096
- Wong, J. Y. 1993 Theory of Ground Vehicles John Wiley and Sons, Inc