This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
A Software Engineering Framework for Electronic Engine Controllers
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published March 06, 2000 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
Event: SAE 2000 World Congress
The embedded software development process for electronic engine controls is undergoing rapid changes and advancements. A large number of software process improvement (SPI) initiatives have recently commenced, partly in response to emerging technologies involving code generation [1, 2, 3 and 4] and automated testing [5,6].
The ability to generate and test embedded code using computer automation is certainly a tremendous advancement and worthy of review by SPI teams. However, there are other important software engineering tasks that also need consideration including verification and validation, configuration management, and documentation. Powerful computer automated tools are available for nearly every one of these tasks. This makes it easy for SPI teams to get caught up in the excitement of a tool's individual capabilities, without paying attention to its impact on the process as a whole.
A software engineering framework consists of a process with methods and tools. Tools must support the process and methods, otherwise the framework will become cluttered, disjointed, and ultimately, a failure. This paper discusses frameworks in use or under consideration by today's SPI teams for powertrain controls applications.
|Technical Paper||Model-based Testing of Embedded Automotive Software Using Mtest|
|Technical Paper||Feature Based Architecture Design and Functional Partitioning to Subsystems|
|Technical Paper||Static Memory and Execution Time Analysis of Embedded Code|
CitationErkkinen, T., "A Software Engineering Framework for Electronic Engine Controllers," SAE Technical Paper 2000-01-0267, 2000, https://doi.org/10.4271/2000-01-0267.
- Wybo, D. Putti, D. “A Qualitative Analysis of Automatic Code Generation Tools for Automotive Powertrain Applications” Proceedings of the 1999 IEEE International Symposium on Computer Aided Control System Design
- Toeppe, S. et al. “Automatic Code Generation Requirements for Production Automotive Powertrain Applications” Proceedings of the 1999 IEEE International Symposium on Computer Aided Control System Design
- Englehart, M. “Using BEACON to Generate Embedded Software from Simulink Models” Proceedings of the 1999 IEEE International Symposium on Computer Aided Control System Design
- Rimvall, C. et al “Automatic Generation of Real-Time Code Using the BEACON CAE Environment” Proceedings of the 1993 International Federation of Automatic Control World Congress
- Morton, S. “Bottoms Up! Testing Top-Down Software Designs, March 1999” Proceedings of the 1999 SAE International Congress and Exposition
- Ellims, M. Parkins R. “Unit Testing Techniques and Tool Support” Proceedings of the 1999 SAE Off-Highway & Powerplant Congress and Exposition
- Pressman, R. Software Engineering: A Practitioners Approach McGraw-Hill 1997
- Boehm, B. Software Engineering Notes 11 ACM SIGSOFT
- Laplante, P. Real-Time Systems Design and Analysis IEEE press 1997
- Erkkinen, T. “Embedded Control System Implementation and Modeling Issues” Proceedings of 1999 American Control Conference
- Redding, D. “Integration of BEACON into the Production Software Process” Oral presentation at the 1999 SAE Off-Highway & Powerplant Congress and Exposition
- Haines, T. “Powertrain Software Architecture Implementation” 1999 Electronic Engine Controls TOPTEC
- Parnas, D. “On Criteria To Be Used in Decomposing Systems into Modules” CACM 1992
- Structured Design 1975 Yourdon Edward Constantine Larry Prentice Hall
- Hatley, D. Pirbhai, I. “Strategies for Real-Time System Specification” Dorset House 1988
- Lee, R. Tepfenhart, W. “UML and C++, A Practical Guide to Object-Oriented Development” Prentice Hall 1997
- Rierson, L. “Object-Oriented Technology (OOT) in Civil Aviation Projects: Certification Concerns” Proceedings of 1999 18 th Digital Avionics Systems Conference
- Whymark, S. “Application of BEACON to the Detailed System and Software Design on the Nimrod MRA4” Proceedings of 1999 ADIUS Conference