This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Exhaust Emissions from a Direct-Injection Spark-Ignition (DISI) Engine Equipped with an Air-Forced Fuel Injector
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published March 06, 2000 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
Event: SAE 2000 World Congress
The effects of fuel injection and spark timing on engine-out, regulated (total HC, NOx, and CO) and speciated HC emissions have been investigated for a 0.31L, single-cylinder, direct-injection, spark-ignition (DISI) engine equipped with an air-forced fuel injector. When the timing of the start of the air injection (SOA) is varied during high stratification operation, the mole fractions of all regulated emissions vary sharply over relatively small (20-30 crank angle degrees) changes in SOA. In addition, the distribution of exhaust hydrocarbon species changes significantly. As stratification increases, the contribution of unburned paraffinic fuel components to the HC emissions decreases by a factor of two while the olefinic partial oxidation products increase. When the spark timing is varied during high stratification operation, the HC emissions increase sharply as the spark timing is retarded relative to MBT. This is opposite to the trend observed in homogeneous charge PFI engines and in this engine when it is operated in PFI mode. The trends with changes in both fuel injection timing and spark timing at high stratification are similar to those obtained previously from a multi-cylinder DISI engine with a totally different geometry and fuel injection system. These results show that the details of the fuel cloud evaporation, mixing, and location relative to the spark plug strongly influence the emissions from DISI engines.
CitationKaiser, E., Lawler, A., Siegl, W., Munoz, R. et al., "Exhaust Emissions from a Direct-Injection Spark-Ignition (DISI) Engine Equipped with an Air-Forced Fuel Injector," SAE Technical Paper 2000-01-0254, 2000, https://doi.org/10.4271/2000-01-0254.
- Brehob, D. D. Fleming, J. E. Haghgooie, M. Stein, R. A. “Stratified-Charge Engine Fuel Economy and Emissions Characteristics,” SAE Technical Paper No. 982704 1998
- Cole, R. L. Poola, R. B. Sekar, R. “Exhaust Emissions of a Vehicle with a Gasoline Direct-Injection Engine,” SAE Technical Paper No. 982605 1998
- Iwamoto, Y. Noma, K. Nakayama, O. Yamauchi, T. Ando, H. “Development of Gasoline Direct Injection Engine,” SAE Technical Paper No. 970541 1997
- Kaiser, E. W. Siegl, W. O. Brehob, D. D. Haghgooie, M. “Engine-Out Emissions from a Direct-Injection Spark-Ignition (DISI) Engine,” SAE Technical Paper No. 1999-01-1529 1999
- Kaiser, E. W. Siegl, W. O. “High-Resolution Gas Chromatographic Determination of the Atmospheric Reactivity of Engine-Out Hydrocarbon Emissions from a Spark-Ignited Engine,” J. High Resolution Chromatography 17 264 1994
- Maricq, M. M. Munoz, R. H. Yang, J. Anderson, R. W. “Sooting Tendencies in an Air-Assisted Direct Injection Spark-Ignition (DISI) Engine,” SAE Technical Paper No. 2000-01-0255 2000
- Kaiser, E. W. Siegl, W. O. Henig, Y. I. Anderson, R. W. Trinker, F. H. “Effect of Fuel Structure on Emissions from a Spark-Ignited Engine,” Environ. Sci. Technol. 25 2005 1991
- Kaiser, E. W. Rothschild, W. G. Lavoie, G. A. “Storage and Partial Oxidation of Unburned Hydrocarbons in Spark-Ignited Engines - Effect of Compression Ratio and Spark Timing,” Comb. Sci. Technol. 36 171 1984
- Kaiser, E. W. Siegl, W. O. Trinker, F. H. Cotton, D. F. Cheng, W. K. Drobot, K. “Effect of Engine Operating Parameters on Hydrocarbon Oxidation in the Exhaust Port and Runner of a Spark-Ignited Engine,” SAE Technical Paper No. 950159 1995
- Kaiser, E. W. Siegl, W. O. Cotton, D. F. Anderson, R. W. “Effect of Fuel Structure on Emissions from a Spark-Ignited Engine. 2. Naphthene and Aromatic Fuels,” Environ. Sci. Technol. 26 1581 1992
- Kaiser, E. W. Rothschild, W. G. Lavoie, G. A. “Effect of Fuel and Operating Variables on Hydrocarbon Species Distributions in the Exhaust from a Multi-cylinder Engine,” Comb. Sci. Technol. 32 245 1983
- Carter, W. P. L. “Development of Ozone Reactivity Scales for Volatile Organic Compounds,” J. Air Waste Manage. Assoc. 44 881 1994
- Yang, J. Kaiser, E. W. Siegl, W. O. Anderson, R. W. “Effects of Port-Injection Timing and Fuel Droplet Size on Total and Speciated Exhaust Hydrocarbon Emissions,” SAE Technical Paper No. 930711 1993
- Heywood, J. B. Internal Combustion Engine Fundamentals McGraw Hill New York 1988 147 582 x