This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Ignition System Measurement Techniques and Correlations for Breakdown and Arc Voltages and Currents
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published March 06, 2000 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
Event: SAE 2000 World Congress
The first part of the paper is a brief review of the techniques needed for measuring the voltage and current during the ignition process. These techniques have been used in test rigs and an engine to gain insights into the breakdown and subsequent discharge development.
New correlations are presented for breakdown voltage as functions of spark plug gap, gas composition, temperature and pressure. The discharge voltage is affected by the flow, so an elevated pressure flow rig was used to look at the effect of flow and pressure on the discharge voltage history, with different stored energies in the ignition coil. This study led to a model for the discharge voltage history, from which it was possible to deduce the flow velocity through the spark plug gap.
Finally, these techniques were applied to a single cylinder, 4-valve, pent-roof combustion chamber SI engine, for determining the cycle-by-cycle variations in velocity through the spark plug at the time of ignition. The paper ends with some comparisons with LDA data.
CitationPashley, N., Stone, R., and Roberts, G., "Ignition System Measurement Techniques and Correlations for Breakdown and Arc Voltages and Currents," SAE Technical Paper 2000-01-0245, 2000, https://doi.org/10.4271/2000-01-0245.
Combustion, Flow Diagnostics, and In-Cylinder Velocity Measurement
Number: SP-1529 ; Published: 2000-03-06
Number: SP-1529 ; Published: 2000-03-06
- Collings, N. and Eade, D Knock detection by Audible, Accelerometer, Pressure and Ionic Current Methods, Paper C314/86, ImechE Conf Proc. ‘Petroleum Based Fuels and Automotive Applications’, MEP 1986.
- Ohashi, Y., Fukui, W. and Ueda, A. Application of Vehicle Equipped with Ionic Current Detection System for the Engine Management System, SAE Paper 970032.
- An, R., Rizzoni, G. and Upadhyay, D., Combustion Diagnostics in Methane-Fueled SI Engines Using the Spark Plug as an Ionization Probe, SAE Paper 970033
- Saitzkoff, A, Reinmann, R. and Mauss, F., In-Cylinder Pressure Measuremenst Using the Spark Plug as an Ionization Sensor, SAE Paper 970857
- Daniels, C. The comparison of Mass Fraction Burned Obtained form the Cylinder Pressure Signal and Spark Plug Ion Signal, SAE Paper 980140
- Eriksson, L., Nielsen, L. and Glavenius, M., Closed Loop Ignition Control by Ionization Current Interpretation, SAE Paper 970854
- Ratio Measurements Using the Spark Plug as an Ionization Sensor, SAE Paper 970856
- Ziegler, GFW, Schaudt, RA and Heweg, R., The Influence of Spark Plug Orientation on Flame Kernel Formation in Flowing Mixtures, FISITA/SAE Paper 865031
- Halldin, C. Velocity and Turbulence Measurements Close to a Spark Plug, SAE Paper 920154
- Dulger, M. and Sher, E. Experimental Study on Spark Ignition of Flowing Combustible Mixtures, SAE Paper 951004
- Brereton, G. and Rahi, M. Some Effects of Spark Plug Electrode Geometry and Orientation on Small-Engine Emissions, SAE Paper 982057
- Johansson, B. Influence of the Velocity Near the Spark Plug on Early Flame Development, SAE Paper 930481
- Maly, R., (1984) Spark ignition - its physics and effect on the internal combustion engine, Chapter 3, Fuel economy: road vehicles powered by spark ignition engines, Hilliard, J.C. and Springer, G.S. (Eds.), Plenum press, 1984
- Cobine, J.D., Gaseous conductors, Dover Publications Inc, New York, Dover Edition, 1958
- Anderson, R.W., and Kim, J., Spark anemometry of bulk gas velocity at the plug of a firing engine, SAE paper, 952459, 1995
- Maly, R., Meinel, H., and Wagner, E., (1983) Novel method for determining general flow parameters from conventional spark discharges, IMechE paper, Presented at combustion in engines conference, 11th - 14th April, 1983
- Pashley, NC, Ignition Systems for Lean Burn Gas Engines, DPhil Thesis, University of Oxford, 1997.
- Arcoumanis, C., Gold, M.R., Whitelaw, J.H., Xu, H.M., Mixture preparation in a Rover optical engine - progress presentation, Imperial College Department of Mechanical Engineering, 22nd July 1997