This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Self Adaptive Speaker System for Automotive Sound
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published March 06, 2000 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
Event: SAE 2000 World Congress
The sound quality of current automobile audio systems differs under static and dynamic conditions. Under dynamic conditions, road noise imparts a masking effect on the low frequency range of the sounds being reproduced. In “The New-AFB system”  and “the NEW-AFB Automotive sound system”  reported to the SAE in 1995 and 1996 respectively, the Acoustic Feedback (AFB) system was discussed as a new playback system capable of correcting the transient characteristics of the speaker and overcoming the masking effect.
The AFB system has been improved and a new playback system developed that uses vehicle road noise as a sound control signal.
In this new system, an additional external microphone is added, which in conjunction with the normal AFB microphone allows the low frequency road noise component of the monitored sound to be extracted. The output level of the audio system is adjusted in response to the level of the degradation of the signal to noise (S/N) ratio caused by this low frequency road noise. The resulting adjustment in response to S/N degradation and road noise levels is made to be equivalent at the listener’s head position. This signal is then compared to the input signal without any road noise, and the system compensates for the shortage of low frequency content based on this differential.
The application of this system allows the low frequency masking effect to be eliminated, making ideal sound reproduction possible under dynamic vehicle conditions.
- Fumiyasu Konno - Matsushita Electronic Components Co., Ltd
- Akinori Hasegawa - Matsushita Electronic Components Co., Ltd
- Masahide Onishi - Matsushita Electronic Components Co., Ltd
- Derek Barrentine - Matsushita Electronic Components Corp. of America
- Sumio Ishihara - Matsushita Electronic Components Corp. of America
- Aric Streeter - Matsushita Electronic Components Corp. of America
CitationKonno, F., Hasegawa, A., Onishi, M., Barrentine, D. et al., "Self Adaptive Speaker System for Automotive Sound," SAE Technical Paper 2000-01-0074, 2000, https://doi.org/10.4271/2000-01-0074.
- Ohki Shinichi Konno Fumiyasu Ishihara Sumio New Acoustic Feedback System SAE TECHNICAL PAPER 950184
- Ohki Shinichi Konno Fumiyasu Nakamura Yoshio Ishihara Sumio Ohashi Toshihiko Finger Robert A. Ido Syuji New-AFB Automotive Sound System SAE TECHNICAL PAPER 960197
- The Institute of Electronics, Information and Communication Engineers Electro-Acoustics and Vibratons (CORONA PUBLISHING)