This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
A Comparison between Volunteer, BioRID P3 and Hybrid III performance in Rear Impacts
Published September 23, 1999 by International Research Council on Biokinetics of Impact in Switzerland
Annotation ability available
The most important tool to date for testing seat-systems in rear impacts is a crash test dummy. However, investigators have noted limitations of the most commonly used dummy, the Hybrid III. Although the BioRID I is a step closer to a biofidelic crash test dummy it is not user-friendly and the straightening of the thoracic spine kyphosis is smaller than that of humans.
The objective of this study is to compare the performance of the latest prototype of the BioRID, the P3, with those of volunteers. The BioRID P3 has new neck muscle substitutes, a softer thoracic spine and a softer rubber torso than does the BioRID I.
The BioRID P3 was validated against volunteer test data in both a rigid and a standard seat without head restraints. The dummy kinematic performance, pressure distribution between subject and seatback, spine curvature, neck loads and accelerations were compared to those of seven volunteers and a Hybrid III fitted with a standard neck. The BioRID P3 provided repeatable test results and its response was very similar to that of the average volunteer in rear impacts at ΔV= 9 km/h.
CitationDavidsson, J., Lövsund, P., Ono, K., Svensson, M. et al., "A Comparison between Volunteer, BioRID P3 and Hybrid III performance in Rear Impacts," SAE Technical Paper 1999-13-0011, 1999.
- Davidsson, J. Deutscher, C. Hell, W. Linder, A. Lövsund, P. Svensson, M.Y. 1998a Human Volunteer Motion in Rear-end Impacts Proc. 1998 Int. IRCOBI Conf. on the Biomechanics of Impact Göteborg, Sweden 289 301
- Davidsson, J. Svensson, M.Y. Flogård, A. Håland, Y. Jakobsson, L. Linder, A. Lövsund, P. Wiklund, K. 1998b BioRID I - A New Biofidelic Rear Impact Dummy Proc. 1998 Int. IRCOBI Conf. on the Biomechanics of Impact Göteborg, Sweden 377 390
- Davidsson, J. 1999 The development of the BioRID - A New Biofidelic Rear Impact Dummy Dept. of Machine and Vehicle Design, Chalmers University of Technology S-412 96 Göteborg, Sweden
- Davidsson, J. Flogård, A. Lövsund, P. Svensson, M.Y. 1999 A New version of the Biofidelic Rear Impact Dummy - Design and Validation of BioRID P3 Proc. 43 rd Stapp Car Crash Conf. San Diego, California
- Geigl, B.C. Steffan, H. Dippel, C. Muser, M.H. Walz, F. Svensson, M.Y. 1995 Comparison of Head-Neck Kinematics During Rear End Impact Between Standard Hybrid III, RID Neck, Volunteers and PMTO's Proc. 1995 Int. IRCOBI Conf. on the Biomechanics of Impact Brunnen, Switzerland 261 270
- Ono, K. Kanno, M. 1993 Influences of the Physical Parameters on the Risk to Neck Injuries in Low Impact Speed Rear-end Collisions Proc. 1993 Int. IRCOBI Conf. on the Biomechanics of Impact Eindhoven, The Netherlands 201 212
- Ono, K. Kaneoka, K. Inami, S. 1998 Influence of Seat Properties on Human Cervical Vertebra Motion and Head/Neck/Torso Kinematics During Rear-end Impacts Proc. 1998 Int. IRCOBI Conf on the Biomechanics of Impact Göteborg, Sweden 303 318
- Ono, K. Davidsson, J. Inami, S. Svensson, M.Y. Lövsund, P. 1999a Human Volunteer Kinematics in Low-Speed Rear Impacts
- Ono, K. Inami, S. Kaneoka, K. Gotou, T. Kisanuki, Y. Sakuma, S. Miki, K. 1999b Proc. 1999 Int. IRCOBI Conf. on the Biomechanics of Impact Sitges, Spain
- Scott, M.W. McConnell, W.E. Guzman, H.M. Howard, R.P. Bomar, J.B. Smith, H.L. Benedict, J.V. Raddin, J.H. Hatsell, C.P. 1993 Comparison of Human and ATD Head Kinematics During Low-Speed Rear-end Impacts SAE paper 930094 , SAE/SP-93/945 Society of Automotive Engineers, Inc. Warrendale, Philadelphia 1-56091-330-4 1 8
- Svensson, M. Y. Lövsund, P. 1992 A Dummy for Rear-End Collisions - Development and Validation of a New Dummy-Neck Proc. 1992 Int. IRCOBI Conf. on the Biomechanics of Impact Verona, Italy 299 310
- Thunnissen, J.G.M. Ratingen van, M.R. Beusenberg, M.C. Janssen, E.G. 1996 A Dummy Neck for Low Severity Impacts Proc. Int. Conf. on Enhanced Safety of Vehicles Melbourne, Australia 1665 1678
- Walker, L. B. Harros, E H. pontius, U. R. 1973 Mass, Volume, Center of Mass, and Mass Moment of Inertia of Head and Head and Neck of Human Body Proc. 17 st STAPP Car Crash Conf. Oklahoma City, Oklahoma Society of Automotive Engineers, Inc. New York, New York SAE paper 730985 525 537