This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Three-Dimensional Viscous Flow Analysis for High-Lift Configurations Using a Parallel Unstructured Multigrid Solver
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published October 19, 1999 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
A Reynolds-averaged Navier-Stokes solver based on unstructured mesh techniques for analysis of high-lift configurations is described. The method makes use of an agglomeration multigrid solver for convergence acceleration. Directional agglomeration and implicit line-smoothing is employed to relieve the stiffness associated with highly stretched meshes. A GMRES technique is also implemented to speed convergence at the expense of additional memory usage. The solver is parallelized on shared and distributed memory machines using the MPI message passing library. Convergence and scalability results are illustrated for various high-lift test cases.
CitationMavriplis, D., "Three-Dimensional Viscous Flow Analysis for High-Lift Configurations Using a Parallel Unstructured Multigrid Solver," SAE Technical Paper 1999-01-5558, 1999, https://doi.org/10.4271/1999-01-5558.
- Mavriplis D. J. and Venkatakrishnan, V. “A unified multigrid solver for the Navier-Stokes equations on mixed element meshes”, International Journal for Computational Fluid Dynamics, 8:247--263, 1997.
- Roe, P. L. “Approximate Riemann solvers, parameter vectors and difference schemes”, J. Comp. Phys., 43 (2):357--372, 1981.
- Mavriplis, D. J. “Multigrid strategies for viscous flow solvers on anisotrpic unstructured meshes”, Proceedings of the 13th AIAA CFD Conference, Snowmass, CO, pages 659--675, June 1997, AIAA Paper 97-1952-CP.
- van Leer, B. Tai, C. H. and Powell, K. G. “Design of optimally-smoothing multi-stage schemes for the Euler equations”, AIAA Paper 89-1933, June 1989.
- Riemslagh K. and Dick, E. “A multigrid method for steady Euler equations on unstructured adaptive grids”, 6th Copper Mountain Conf. on Multigrid Methods, NASA conference publication 3224, pages 527-- 542, 1993.
- Morano E. and Dervieux, A. Looking for O (N) Navier- Stokes solutions on non-structured meshes. In 6thCopper Mountain Conf. on Multigrid Methods, pages 449--464, 1993. NASA Conference Publication 3224.
- Ollivier-Gooch, C. “Towards problem-independent multigrid convergence rates for unstructured mesh methods i: Inviscid and laminar flows”, In Proceedings of the 6th International Symposium on CFD, Lake Tahoe, NV, September 1995.
- Pierce N. and Giles, M. “Preconditioning on stretched meshes”, AIAA paper 96-0889, January 1996.
- Weiss J. M. and Smith, W. A “Preconditioning applied to variable and constant density time-accurate flows on unstructured meshes”, AIAA Paper 94-2209, June 1994.
- Turkel, E. “Preconditioning methods for solving the incompressible and low speed compressible equations”, J. Comp. Phys., 72:277--298, 1987.
- van Leer, B. Turkel, E. Tai C. H. and Mesaros, L. “Local preconditioning in a stagnation point”, Proceedings of the 12th AIAA CFD Conference, San Diego, CA, pages 88--101, June 1995. AIAA Paper 95-1654-CP.
- Turkel, E. “Preconditioning-squared methods for multidimensional aerodynamics” ,In Proceedings of the 13th AIAA CFD Conference, Snowmass, CO, pages 856--866, June 1997. AIAA Paper 97-2025-CP.
- Spalart P. R. and Allmaras, S. R. “A one-equation turbulence model for aerodynamic flows”, La Recherche Aerospatiale, 1:5--21, 1994.
- Lallemand, M. Steve, H. and Dervieux, A. “Unstructured multigridding by volume agglomeration: Current status”, Computers and Fluids, 21 (3):397--433, 1992.
- Smith, W. A. “Multigrid solution of transonic flow on unstructured grids”, In Recent Advances and Applications in Computational Fluid Dynamics, November 1990.Proceedings of the ASME Winter Annual Meeting, Ed. Baysal. O.
- Mavriplis, D. J. “Directional agglomeration multigrid techniques for high-Reynolds number viscous flows”, AIAA paper 98-0612, January 1998.
- Mavriplis, D. J. “Three dimensional high-lift analysis using a parallel unstructured multigrid solver”, In Proceedings of the 16th AIAA Applied Aerodynamics Conference, Albuquerque, NM, pages 376--390, June 1998. AIAA Paper 98-2619-CP.
- Saad Y. and Schultz. M. H. “GMRES: A generalized minimal residual algorithm for solving nonsymmetric linear systems”, SIAM J. Sci. Stat. Comput., 7 (3):856--869, 1986.
- Wigton L. B. Yu N. J. and Young, D. P. “GMRES acceleration of computational fluid dynamic codes”, In Proceedings of the 7th AIAA CFD Conference, pages 67--74, July 1985. AIAA Paper 85-1494-CP.
- Hendrickson B. and Leland, R. “The Chaco user’s guide: Version 2.0”, Tech. Rep. SAND94-2692, Sandia National Laboratories, Albuquerque, NM, July 1995.
- Karypis G. and Kumar, V. “A fast and high quality multilevel scheme for partitioning irregular graphs”, Technical Report Technical Report 95-035, University of Minnesota, 1995. A short version appears in Intl. Conf. on Parallel Processing 1995.
- Gropp, W. Lusk, E. and Skjellum, A. “Using MPI: Portable Parallel Programming with the Message Passing Interface”, MIT Press, Cambridge, MA, 1994.
- Mavriplis, D. J. Das, R. Saltz, J. and Vermeland, R. E. “Implementation of a parallel unstructured Euler solver on shared and distributed memory machines”, The J. of Supercomputing, 8 (4):329--344, 1995.
- Special course on parallel computing in CFD. May 1995. AGARD Report-807.
- Venkatakrishnan, V. “Implicit schemes and parallel computing in unstructured grid CFD”, In VKI Lecture Series VKI-LS 1995-02}, March 1995.
- Gatlin G. M. and McGhee. R. J. “Experimental investigation of semispan model testing techniques”, AIAA Journal of Aircraft, 34 (4):500--505, 1997.
- Pirzadeh, S. “Viscous unstructured three-dimensional grids by the advancing- layers method”, AIAA paper 94-0417, January 1994.
- Mavriplis D. J. and Pirzadeh, S. “Large-scale parallel unstructured mesh computations for 3D high-lift analysis”, AIAA paper 99-0537, presented at the 37th AIAA Aerospace Sciences Meeting, Reno NV, January 1999.
- Pirzadeh, S. “ Unstructured Grid Generation for Complex 3D High-Lift Configurations”, SAE 1999 World Aviation Congress and Exposition, paper 1999-01-5557, San Francisco, CA .October 19-21, 1999.
- Lynch F. T. Potter R. C. and Spaid, F. W. “Requirements for effective high lift CFD”, In Proceedings of the 20th ICAS Congress, Sorrento, Italy, pages 1479- -1492, September 1996. paper ICAS-96-2.7.1.