This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Optimal Mass and Geometric Parameters in Multi-Wheel Drive Trucks for Improved Transport and Fuel Efficiency
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published November 15, 1999 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
To develop better performing vehicles, for ground transportation, it is necessary to improve the theory in vehicle dynamics for choosing suitable mass and geometric parameters for highway as well as for off road trucks. A new approach is required for choosing such optimal mass and geometric parameters. The present paper is devoted to this problem. A new method for synthesis of mass and geometric parameters is introduced here. The method allows us to synthesize the parameters in such way as to provide a vehicle with the best transport efficiency under various road surface conditions. Constraints such as limitations on these parameters, vehicle running modes, mass and geometric parameters are included in the model. Furthermore other constraints for vehicle running abilities which are dependent on mass and geometric parameters, as well as an algorithm for synthesizing mass and geometric parameters are also included in the paper for pre-optimization process. The methodology is developed for a generic truck having m≥2 axles for the tractor and k≥2 axles for the semi-trailer including the optimization scheme for mass and geometric parameters to provide optimal traction and maximum force distribution among drive wheels for improved transport and fuel efficiency.
CitationVantsevich, V., Vysotski, M., Gileles, L., Zakharik, M. et al., "Optimal Mass and Geometric Parameters in Multi-Wheel Drive Trucks for Improved Transport and Fuel Efficiency," SAE Technical Paper 1999-01-3733, 1999, https://doi.org/10.4271/1999-01-3733.
- Automotive Industries 1991 Avtomobilnaya promishlennost S.SH.A. 1 1991 7 9
- Fekpe E. S. K. El-Gindy M. 1996 Influence of Trailer Tandem-Axle Versus Tridem-Axle on Pavement Damage and Dynamic Performance Proccedings of the ASME Dynamics Systems and Control Division 58 117 123
- Vantsevich V. V. Vysotski M. S. Gileles L. Kh. 1998 A New Direction in the Development of Vehicle Dynamics Avtomobilnaya promishlennost 3 6 8
- Farobin Ya. E. 1988 Features of Three Part Trucks Acceleration Izvestiaya VUZov, Mashinostroenie 7
- Vantsevich V. V. Vysotski M. S. Gileles L. Kh. 1998 Control of the vehicle tractive and velocity properties Belaruskaya Navuka Minsk 76
- Litvinov A. S. Farobin Ya. E 1989 Automobile theory of performance Mashinostroenie Moscow 280
- Aksenov P. V. 1989 Multi-axle Vehicles Mashinostroenie Moscow 280
- Smirnov G. A. 1990 Theory of motion of vehicles Mashinostroenie Moscow 352
- Vantsevich V. V. Kharytonchyk S. V. Happawana G. S. Nwokah O. D. I. 1998 Basis for logical control of circumferential wheel forces of highway trucks for improved traction and fuel efficiency paper 982790, Int. Truck & Bus Meeting & Exposition Indianapolis, Indiana November 16-18