This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Anti-Shudder Mechanism of ATF Additives at Slip-Controlled Lock-Up Clutch
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published October 25, 1999 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
The anti-shudder effect of ATF additives and their mechanisms have been investigated. Anti-shudder durability was evaluated using an automatic transmission (AT) on an engine stand under continuously slip-controlled condition. The addition of over-based Ca-sulfonate and friction modifier (FM) remarkably improved the anti-shudder durability of ATF.
The surface roughness of the contact area (contact area roughness) of the clutch plates was measured by an electron probe surface roughness analyzer. To evaluate the boundary frictional properties of the adsorbed film formed, the friction coefficient of the clutch plates in the absence of oil was examined after the anti-shudder durability test.
It was found that shudder occurrence was strongly correlated with the contact area roughness and the boundary frictional property of the steel plate surface. Large contact area roughness and low boundary friction were preferred to prevent shudder. It was suggested that the increase in the contact area roughness was caused by over-based Ca-sulfonate, and that the decrease in the boundary friction was caused by over-based Ca-sulfonate and FMs.
CitationTohyama, M., Ohmori, T., and Ueda, F., "Anti-Shudder Mechanism of ATF Additives at Slip-Controlled Lock-Up Clutch," SAE Technical Paper 1999-01-3616, 1999, https://doi.org/10.4271/1999-01-3616.
- Hiramatu T., Akagi T. and Yoneda H., “Control Technology of Minimal Slip-Type Torque Converter Clutch”, SAE Paper 850460.
- Kono K., Itoh H., Nakayama S., Yoshizawa K. and Osawa M., “Torque Converter Clutch Slip Control System”, SAE Paper 950672.
- Ashikawa R., Naruse T., Kurashina H., Matsuoka T., Adachi T. and Nakayama T., “ATF Characteristics Required for the Latest Automatic Transmissions”, SAE Paper 932849.
- Kugimiya T., Mitsui J., Yoshimura N., Kaneko H,, Akamatsu H., Ueda F., Nakada T. and Akiyama S., “Development of Automatic Transmission Fluid for Slip-Controlled Lock-up Clutch Systems”, SAE Paper 952348.
- Ueda F., “Development of ATF Test Methods and Specification”, Proceedings of '98 International Symposium of ‘Tribology of Vehicle Transmissions’ (1998) 40.
- Ward, W. C. Jr., Sumiejski J. L., Castanien C. J., Tagliamonte T. A. and Schiferl E. A., “Friction and Stick-Slip Durability Testing of ATF”, SAE Paper 941883.
- Slough C. G., Ohtani H., Everson M. P. and Melotik D. J., “The Effect of Friction Modifiers on the Low-Speed Friction Characteristics of Automatic Transmission Fluids Observed with Scanning Force Microscopy”, SAE Paper 981099.
- Srinivasan S., Sunne J. P., Smith D. W. and Stinnett D. W., “Prediction of Anti-shudder Performance of ATFs in CSTCC-Equipped Vehicles Using The Low Speed SAE #2 Machine”, Proceedings of '98 International Symposium of ‘Tribology of Vehicle Transmissions’ (1998) 51.
- Kugimiya T., Yoshimura N., Kuribayashi T., Mitsui J., Ueda F., Ando Y., Nakada T. and Ohira H., “Next Generation High Performance ATF for Slip-Controlled Automatic Transmission”, SAE Paper 972927.
- Watts R. F., “Present Performance of Automatic Transmission Fluids for Slip/Lock-Up Torque Converter Clutches”, Proceedings of '98 International Symposium of ‘Tribology of Vehicle Transmissions’ (1998) 45.
- Hopkins A. G. and Anderson J. H., “Effect of Commercial Oil Additives on Wet Friction Systems”, SAE Paper 831312.
- Sanda S., Nagasawa Y., Suzuki A., Hayashi K. and Itoh H., “Mechanism of Friction of Wet Clutch with Paper Based Facings”, Proceedings of ‘International Tribology Conference Yokohama 1995’ (1995) 1519.
- Masuko M., Moriki K. and Okabe H., “A Study on Boundary Friction”, Journal of Japanese Society of Lubrication Engineers, 30, 6 (1985) 422.
- Tipton C. D. and Schiferl E. A., “Fundamental Studies on ATF Friction I.”, SAE Paper 971621.
- Guan J. J., Willermet P. A., Carter R. O. and Melotik D. J. “Interaction Between ATFs and Friction Material for Modulated Torque Converter Clutches”, SAE Paper 981098.
- Tipton C. D., Huston M. E and Wetsell W. R., “Fundamental Studies on ATF Friction II.”, SAE Paper 982670.