This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
An Internal Line-Contact EHL and Traction Test Rig
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published October 25, 1999 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
This paper presents a unique line-contact EHL test rig. One of the features of the rig is that the EHL junction is formed by a cylindrical roller in contact with the internal surface of a cylindrical ring. With this design configuration, only a very small amount of lubricant is needed even for high speed testing as the centrifugal force maintains a good oil supply to the contact region. The roller and the ring are driven separately by servomotors. The roller assembly is mounted on a platform supported by a hydrostatic air bearing to allow accurate traction measurement. With a coated sapphire ring, the EHL film thickness in the contact zone can be measured by means of optical interferometry. The control and data acquisition systems are integrated in a Labview environment, and the test sequence can be programmed and automatically carried out by the control program. The innovative design features and test parameters of the rig are presented along with a set of typical test results. This test rig can produce accurate EHL traction and film thickness data in a line contact. It may be used to facilitate fundamental studies of lubricant rheology and development of rheological models.
CitationFang, N., Chang, L., Johnston, G., Webster, M. et al., "An Internal Line-Contact EHL and Traction Test Rig," SAE Technical Paper 1999-01-3609, 1999, https://doi.org/10.4271/1999-01-3609.
- Cheng, H. S. Elastohydrodynamic Lubrication CRC Handbook of Lubrication Booser E. R. 2 139 162 CRC Press 1984
- Crook, A. W. Lubrication of Rollers, Part IV, Measurement of Friction and Effective Viscosity Phil. Trans. R. Soc. 225 281 312 1963
- Foord, C. A. Wedeven, L. D. Westlake, F. J. Cameron, A. Optical Elastohydrodynamics Proc. Instn. Mech. Engrs 184 28 487 506 1969
- Halling, J. Principles of Tribology MacMillan Education Ltd. 1989
- Hamrock, B. J. Fundamental of Fluid Film Lubrication McGraw-Hill, Inc. 1994
- Dowson, D. Toyoda, S. A Central Film Thickness Formula for Elastohydrodynamic Line Contacts Proc. 5 th Leeds/Lyon Symp. Mechanical Engineering Publications 60 67 1977
- Johnson, K. L. Cameron, R. Shear Behaviour of Elastohydrodynamic Oil Films at High Rolling Contact Pressures Proc. Instn. Mech. Engrs 182 307 319 1967
- Wu, S. Cheng, H. “Empirical Determination of Effective Lubricant Rheological Parameters” Trib. Trans. 37 1 138 146 1994
- AT-MIO E Series User Manual, Multifunction I/O Boards for the PC AT National Instruments 1995