This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Chassis Dynamometer Emission Measurements from Trucks and Buses using Dual-Fuel Natural Gas Engines
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published October 25, 1999 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
Emissions from trucks and buses equipped with Caterpillar dual-fuel natural gas (DFNG) engines were measured at two chassis dynamometer facilities: the West Virginia University (WVU) Transportable Emissions Laboratory and the Los Angeles Metropolitan Transportation Authority (LA MTA). Emissions were measured over four different driving cycles. The average emissions from the trucks and buses using DFNG engines operating in dual-fuel mode showed the same trends in all tests - reduced oxides of nitrogen (NOx) and particulate matter (PM) emissions and increased hydrocarbon and carbon monoxide (CO) emissions - when compared to similar diesel trucks and buses. The extent of NOx reduction was dependent on the type of test cycle used.
- Paul Norton - National Renewable Energy Laboratory (NREL)
- Mike Frailey - National Renewable Energy Laboratory (NREL)
- Nigel Clark - West Virginia University (WVU)
- Donald W. Lyons - West Virginia University (WVU)
- Mridul Gautam - West Virginia University (WVU)
- J. McKinley Addy - California Energy Commission (CEC)
- N. John Beck - Clean Air Partners (CAP)
CitationNorton, P., Frailey, M., Clark, N., Lyons, D. et al., "Chassis Dynamometer Emission Measurements from Trucks and Buses using Dual-Fuel Natural Gas Engines," SAE Technical Paper 1999-01-3525, 1999, https://doi.org/10.4271/1999-01-3525.
- Pera, Charlotte J.D., The Energy Foundation, personal correspondence, June 1999.
- Johnson, J., “EPA Fines Engine Makers,” Transport Topics, TT Publishing, Alexandria, VA, October 26, 1998.
- Wilson, R., “Environmental Protection Agency Reaches $1 Billion Settlement with On-Highway Engine Builders,” Diesel Progress, November 1998.
- “Notice of Filing of Consent Decree Under the Clean Air Act,” Federal Register, Vol. 63, No. 212, p. 59330-59334, November 3, 1998.
- Osenga, M., “Diesel Industry Confronts the Emissions Settlement,” Diesel Progress, December 1998.
- “Engine Makers Hit with Record Fine,” Metro Magazine, January/February 1999.
- Land, D., “Engine Makers Wrestle with Effects of EPA Settlement,” Transport Topics, TT Publishing, Alexandria, VA, February 1, 1999.
- Chandler, K., Norton, P., and Clark, N., “Alternative Fuel Truck Evaluation Project- Design and Preliminary Results,” SAE Paper 981392, 1998.
- Dual-Fuel Truck Fleet Start-up Experience, National Renewable Energy Laboratory, NREL/BR-540-25118, September 1998.
- Chandler, K., Norton, P., and Clark, N., “Interim Results from the Alternative Fuel Truck Evaluation Project,” SAE Paper 1999-01-1505, 1999.
- For example, see the following World Wide Web site: http://www.energy.ca.gov/afvs/schoolbus/
- Demonstration of Caterpillar C-10 Dual Fuel Engines in MCI 102DL3 Commuter Buses, Draft final report to NREL, June 1999.
- Beck, N.J., Johnson, W.P., George, A.E., Petersen, P.W., van der Lee, B., and Klopp, G., “Electronic Fuel Injection for Dual Fuel Diesel Methane,” SAE Paper, SAE 891652, 1989.
- Gebert, K., Beck, N.J., Barkhimer, R.L., Wong, H.C., and Wells, A.D., “Development of Pilot Fuel Injection Sustem for CNG Engine,” SAE Paper, SAE 961100, 1996.
- Osenga, M., “Cat Introduces Dual Fuel Truck Engines,” Diesel Progress, August 1996.
- Beck, N. J., Barkhimer, R.L., Johnson, W.P., Wong, H.C., and Gebert, K., “Evolution of Heavy Duty Natural Gas Engines - Stoichiomentric, Carbureted and Spark Ignited to Lean Burn, Fuel-Injected and Micro - Pilot,” SAE Paper, SAE 972665, 1997.
- Beck, P.J., Hamilton, B.A., Shepherd, R. Cemeska, R.A., and Lautman, L.A., “Performance, Engine Durability and Oil Life Analysis of Pilot Ignition Natural Gas Engines,” SAE Paper, SAE 972664, 1997.
- Turner, S.H. and Weaver, C.S., Dual-Fuel Natural Gas/Diesel Engines: Technology, Performance, and Emissions, Gas Research Institute, GRI-94/0094, 1994.
- Bata, R., Clark, N., Gautam, M., Howell, A., Long, T., Loth, J., Lyons, D., Palmer, M., Rapp, B., Smith, J., and Wang, W., “The First Transportable Heavy Duty Vehicle Emissions Testing Laboratory,” SAE Paper 912668, 1991.
- Bata, R., Clark, N., Lyons, D., Long, T., Howell, A., Loth, J., Palmer, M., Rapp, B., and Wang, W., “A Transportable Heavy Duty Vehicle Emissions Testing Laboratory: A New Dimension in Vehicle Testing,” ASME Paper 92-ICE-21, 1992.
- Clark. N. N., Gautam, M., Bata, R- M., and Lyons, D. W., “Design and Operation of a New Transportable Laboratory for Emissions Testing of Heavy Duty Trucks and Buses,” International Journal of Vehicle Design: Heavy Vehicle Systems, Vol. 2, Nos. 3/4, pp. 285-299. 1995.
- Norton, P., Vertin, K., Clark, N.N., Lyons, D.W., Gautam, M., Goguen, S., and Eberhardt, J., “Emissions from Buses with DDC 6V92 Engines Using Synthetic Diesel Fuel,” SAE Paper, SAE 1999-01-1512, 1999.
- Clark, N.N., Gautan, M., Rapp, B., Lyons, D.W., Graboski, M.S., McCormick, R.L., Alleman, T.L., and Norton, P., “Diesel and CNG Transit Bus Emissions Characterization by Two Chassis Dynamometer Laboratories: Results and Issues,” SAE Paper, SAE 1999-01-1469, 1999.
- Norton, P., Vertin, K., Bailey, B., Clark, N.N., Lyons, D.W., Goguen, S., and Eberhardt, J., “Emissions from Trucks using Fischer-Tropsch Diesel Fuel,” SAE Paper, SAE 982526, 1998.
- Clark. N. N., Lyons, D. W.. Wang, W., Rapp, B. L., Gautam, M., Wang, W., Norton, P., White, C., and Chandler, K., “Emissions from Trucks and Buses Powered by Cummins L-10 Natural Gas Engines,” SAE Paper 981393, 1998.
- Clark, N. N., Gautam M., Lyons, D. W., Bata, R. M., Wang, W., Norton, P., and Chandler, K. “Natural Gas and Diesel Transit Bus Emissions: Review and Recent Data,” SAE Paper 973203, 1997.
- Chandler, K., Malcosky, N., Motta, R., Norton, P., Kelly, K., Schumacher, L. and Lyons, D. W., “Alternative Fuel Transit Bus Evaluation Program Results,” SAE Paper 961082, 1996.
- Clark. N. N., Gadapati, C. J., Kelly, K., White, C. L., Lyons, D. W.. Wang, W., Gautam, M. and Bata, R., “Comparative Emissions from Natural Gas and Diesel Buses,” SAE Paper 952746,1995.
- Wang, W., Gautam, M., Sun, X., Bata, R-, Clark, N., Palmer, M. and Lyons, D. W., “Emissions Comparisons of Twenty-Six Heavy Duty Vehicles Operated on Conventional and Alternative Fuels,” SAE Paper 932952, 1993.
- Bata, R, Lyons, D. W., Clark, N., Gautam, G. and Wang, W., “Vehicle Performance and Exhaust Gas Emissions of In-use Methanol Fueled Transit Buses,” Eleventh International Symposium on Alcohol Fuels, April 1996, Sun City, South Africa, Vol. 3, pp. 809-820, 1996.
- Wang, W., Clark, N.N., Lyons, D.W., Yang, R., Gautam, M., Bata, R., and Loth, J., “Emissions Comparisons from Alternative Fuel Buses and Diesel Buses with a Chassis Dynamometer Testing Facility”, Environmental Science & Technology, Vol. 31, No. 11, 1997.
- Clark, N. N., McKain, D. L., Messer, T. J., and Lyons, D., W., “Chassis Test Cycles for Assessing Emissions from Heavy Duty Trucks,” SAE Paper 941946, 1994.
- Clark, N. N., Messer, T. J.,, McKain, D. L., Wang, W G., Bata, R. M., Gautam, M., and Lyons, D. W., “Use of the West Virginia University Truck Test Cycle to Evaluate Emissions from Class 8 Trucks,” SAE Paper 951016, 1995.
- Clark, N. N., Lyons, D. W., “Class 8 Truck Emissions Testing: Effects of Test Cycles and Data on Biodiesel Operation,” American Society of Agricultural Engineers (ASAE) Paper 986082, 1998.
- Analysts, Inc., Final Letter Report to WVU on California No. 2 Diesel Fuel Tests, July 1998.