This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
The Influence of Crankcase Clearance Volume on Two-Stroke S.I. Engine Performance
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published September 28, 1999 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
The performance of two-stroke spark-ignition engines is greatly influenced by the scavenging process The variation of the crankcase clearance volume has here been investigated as a method for engine-load reduction. This method allows the reduction of the load without throttling or only by partial throttling with a theoretical increase of the engine efficiency. A comparison of two methods (air throttling and crankcase clearance volume variation) has therefore been carried out. The reduction of pumping work, due to the use of the variable crankcase clearance volume, has not always caused a consequent reduction of the specific fuel consumption. This is mainly due to deterioration of the scavenging process and to the occurrence of pre-ignition which occur above all at light loads.
CitationBadami, M., Nuccio, P., and Andriano, M., "The Influence of Crankcase Clearance Volume on Two-Stroke S.I. Engine Performance," SAE Technical Paper 1999-01-3331, 1999, https://doi.org/10.4271/1999-01-3331.
- Gentili R. Marini A. “ PRO-JECT Air-Assisted Fuel Injection Sistem for Two-Stroke S.I. Engines ” SAE Tecnical Paper n. 960360 1996
- Bell G. Finucci C. “ Exhaust Emissions Sensitivities with Direct Injection on a 50 cc Scooter ” SAE Tecnical Paper n. 970365 1997
- Bartolini C.M. et Alii “ Performance Analysis of a Two-Stroke Gasoline Engine with Direct-Injection ” ATA International Congress, Paper n. 931508 Florence January 1993
- Houston R. et Alii “ Development of a Durable Emissions Control System for an Automotive Two-Stroke Engine ” SAE Tecnical Paper n. 960361 1996
- La Forgia D. Laus U.G. “ Scavenging Performance Measurements of Diesel Two-Stroke Cycle Engine ” ATA International Congress, Paper n. 931548 Florence January 1993
- Nuti M. Cundari D. “ Experimental Analysis for Internal Losses In Two-Stroke S.I. Engine ” ATA International Congress, Paper n. 931513 Florence January 1993
- Gentili R. et Alii “ Experimental Study on ATAC (Active Thermo-Atmosphere Combustion) in a Two-Stroke Gasoline Engine ” SAE Tecnical Paper n. 970363 1997
- Onischi S. et Alii “ Active Thermo-Atmosphere Combustion (ATAC) - A New Combustion Process for Internal Combustion Engines ” SAE Tecnical Paper n. 790501 1979
- Ishibashi Y. Asai M. “ Improving the Exhaust Emissions of Two-Stroke Engines by Applying the Activated Radical Combustion ” SAE Tecnical Paper n. 960742 1996
- Blair G.P. “ Design and Simulation of Two-Stroke Engines ” SAE 1996 490 491