This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Numerical Optimization of a Gasoline Direct Injection Concept Adapted for High Speed Two-Stroke Engines
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published September 28, 1999 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
The future development of two-stroke engines will be conditioned by the drastic reduction of pollutant emission, especially of hydrocarbon. This goal is not achievable only by scavenging improvement, rather a new quality of mixture formation using direct injection is imposed. However, the internal mixture formation in a large range of speed and load, considering the scavenge flow particularities of two-stroke engines as well, appears as an extremely complex process. Thereby a numerical simulation is in this case very effective for the adaptation of a direct injection method at the engine. The paper presents a concept for modeling and optimization of the mixture formation process within a high-speed two-stroke engine with liquid fuel injection system. The injection system generates a pressure pulse which is not dependent on the engine speed. The paper illustrates the mixture formation process as time and space related, in base on the fuel volume distribution and mixture velocity within the combustion chamber. The numerical simulation of the mixture formation is based on the commercial code FLUENT. The time dependent simulations covered both the injection duration and the subsequent mixing process, in order to evaluate the charge motion and the distribution of the fuel mass fraction inside the cylinder before ignition. Different combinations of injected fuel quantities, injection start, engine speed as well as the interaction between fuel and air flow are presented. The results of such optimization regarding the performances of a two-stroke engine with 50 cm3 with gasoline direct injection are a convicting validation of the numerical optimization.
CitationStan, C., Eichert, H., Martorano, L., and Bacciottini, C., "Numerical Optimization of a Gasoline Direct Injection Concept Adapted for High Speed Two-Stroke Engines," SAE Technical Paper 1999-01-3286, 1999, https://doi.org/10.4271/1999-01-3286.
- Blair G.P. “Design and Simulation of Two-Stroke Engines” SAE 1996 1-56091-685-0
- Stan C. et al. Direct Injection Systems for Spark Ignition and Compression Ignition Engines” Springer Verlag Berlin Heidelberg New York 1999 3-540-65287-6
- Zhao F.Q. Lai M.C. Harrington D.L. “A Review of Mixture Preparation and Combustion Control Strategies for Spark-Ignited Direct-Injection Gasoline Engines” SAE Paper 970627
- Lefebvre A.H. “Atomization and Sprays” Hemisphere Publishing Corporation 1996
- Stan C. Eichert H. Martorano L Franco A. “Fluid Dynamic Modeling of Gasoline Direct Injection for Compact Combustion Chambers” SAE Paper 980755
- Fraidl G.K. Piock W.F. Wirth M. “Gasoline Direct Injection: Actual Trends and Future Strategies for Injection and Combustion System” SAE Paper 960465
- Stan C. Lefebvre J.L. “Development of a Direct Injection Concept for Two Wheelers Equipped with Two Stroke Engines” SAE Paper 1999-01-1248
- Nuti M. Caponi D. “The Development of a Propulsive Unit for a Friendly Individual Commuting Vehicle” SAE Paper 1999-01-1246
- Stan C. “Experimental Analysis of the Fuel Spray Characteristics for DI High Speed Engines Using a Ram Tuned Injection System” SAE Paper 972742
- Carson C. E. Kee R.J. Kenny R.G. Stan C. Lehmann K. Zwahr S. “Ram Tuned and Air Assisted Direct Fuel Injection System Applied to a SI Two-Stroke Engine” SAE Paper 950270
- Franco A. Martorano L. Stan C. Eichert H. Development of Two-Stroke Engines with Direct Injection” SAE Paper 951776
- Franco A. Martorano L. Stan C. Eichert H, “Numerical Analysis of the Performances of a Small Two-Stroke Engine with Direct Injection” SAE Paper 960362
- User's Guide Version 4.42 FLUENT Incorporated Lebanon USA 1996
- Hirt C.W. Nichols B.D. “Volume of Fluid (VOF) Method for the Dynamics of Free Boundaries” Journal of Computational Physics 39 201 225 1981
- Bacciottini C. Franco A. Martorano L. “Metodi per l'Analisi Fluidodinamica dei Cilindri di Piccoli Motori a C.I.” Proceedings of the 53 rd ATI National Congress of Florence 1998