This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
NEWPED - A Stealth Auxiliary Engine in a Bicycle with Very Low Noise, Low Pollutant Emission and Good Fuel Economy
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published September 28, 1999 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
The development history of a 30cc 2-stroke engine power unit in the covered rear wheel for retrofit into standard bicycle chassis. The rear wheel acts as cooling fan for the air cooled long stroke engine with catalyst exhaust system, autochoke carburetor, autolube oil pump, electric start and inertia start, single speed automatic transmission and 7 speed hub final drive. The space in the rear wheel contains intake air filter, exhaust system, fuel tank, oil tank and engine with drive train, the complete engine being only 94mm wide. The complete covered power unit is nearly undetectable as the rear wheel covers resemble road racing bicycles. There is very low stationary and pass-by noise (64 db[A]), no exhaust gas opacity or smell, very low vibration level and very good fuel economy up to 133 km/l. The paper highlights the development steps such as layout and design, acoustic & NVH analysis, FE analysis of stressed parts and acoustic features, thermodynamic layout and the development steps on the dynos.
CitationLaimboeck, F., Alge, H., Trigg, R., Binder, M. et al., "NEWPED - A Stealth Auxiliary Engine in a Bicycle with Very Low Noise, Low Pollutant Emission and Good Fuel Economy," SAE Technical Paper 1999-01-3280, 1999, https://doi.org/10.4271/1999-01-3280.
- Bathe K.J. Springer, Berlin, Heidelberg; New York, London, Paris, Tokyo, Hongkong 1990
- Bernhardt Ulrich 0506-3159
- Exel G. Outline of the development of a low emission, low noise and low fuel consumption four stroke scooter Technical University Graz
- Gallaun M. Outline of the design and analysis of a four stroke scooter building block system Technical University Graz 1993
- Heinrich Gobrecht Berlin New York 1974 3 11 004861
- Laimböck F. Two wheeler technology and small capacity engines Vorlesung TU-Graz
- Laimböck F.
- Laimböck F. The Potential of Small Loop-Scavenged Spark-Ignition Single Cylinder Two Stroke Engines SAE Warrendale, PA Februar 1991
- Laimböck F. Hochmayr M. Beidl Ch. Killmann G. Intake silencer for internal combustion engine Austria Europe US
- Laimböck F. et.al.
- Christian Landerl TU Graz 1990
- Milwisch Ch. Outline of the development of a low emission and low noise four stroke scooter Technical University Graz 1993
- Piock W. Gas exchange and flow optimization on a modern small multi-valve engine Technical University Graz 1993
- Pischinger R. Kraßnig G. Taucar G. Sams Th. Springer Verlag
- Schmidleitner K. Technical University Graz 1998
- Vibe I. Berlin 1970
- Winkler Rauch 1993 Rauch E. Simulation of the surface vibration of a four stroke scooter engine by use of the nonlinear finite element time domain calculation Technical University Graz 1994
- Laimboeck F. Trigg R. Two-wheeled vehicle Japan
- Laimboeck F. AVL-Low noise cylinder for air cooled engines