This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Determination of Forming Limits by Digital Image Processing Methods
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published September 28, 1999 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
A deep-drawing grade AKDQ steel sheet was tested to determine the Forming Limit Diagrams (FLDs) using two different forming methods to identify points where the incipient necking started. With the conventional out-of-plane spherical forming test, incipient necking points were determined from the formed dome samples at areas diametrically opposite to the necked and fractured locations. With the Marciniak in-plane forming test, incipient necking points were determined from real-time video images obtained during the experiment. These images were analyzed with strain-measurement software to determine the strain distributions in the samples. Various data plotting schemes were explored to produce meaningful results for the flat-bottom in-plane tests. These methods included “best fit” line analysis and strain vs. time plots. The final outcome is reasonably consistent with published FLD data.
CitationLewison, D. and Lee, D., "Determination of Forming Limits by Digital Image Processing Methods," SAE Technical Paper 1999-01-3168, 1999, https://doi.org/10.4271/1999-01-3168.
- Keeler S. P. Circular Grid System-A Valuable Aid for Evaluating Sheet-Metal Formability Sheet Metal Industries Sept. 1968 633 641
- Hecker S. S. Simple Technique for Determining Forming Limit Curve Sheet Metal Industries November 1975 671 676
- Smith P. E. Lee D. Determination of Forming Limits for Aluminum Alloys Proc. IBEC’98, Publication-331 2 1998 121 128
- Marciniak Z. Kuczynski K. Limit Strain in the Process of Stretch-Forming Sheet Metal Int. J. Mech. Sci. 9 1967 609 620
- Ghosh A. K. Hecker S. S. Stretching Limits in Sheet Metals: I-Plane Versus Out-of-Plane Deformation Metall. Trans. 5 1974 2161 2164
- Raghavan K. S. A Simple Technique to Generate In-Plane Forming Limit Curves and Selected Applications Metall. and Mat. Trans. A 26A 1995 2075 2084
- Marron G. Moinier L. Patou P. Celeski J. C. A New Necking Criterion for the Forming Limit Diagrams La Revue de Metallurgie-CIT Juin 1997 838 844
- Lewison D.J. Lee D. Assessment of Experimental Methods for Determination of Forming Limits submitted to the 4th International Conference on Numerical Simulations of 3D Sheet Forming Processes September 13-17, 1999 Besancon, France
- Manthey D. W. Lee D. Recent Developments in a Vision-Based Surface Strain Measurement System J. of Metals 23 1995 46 49
- Adijuwono E.F. Lee D. Effect of Sheet Thickness on the Formability of 6111-T6 Aluminum Alloy Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute Report 97-112 Troy, NY 1997
- Keeler S.P. Automotive Sheet Metal Formability, Report AU89-1, American Iron and Steel Institute Publication Washington, D.C. 1989 4.2 12