This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
On the Development of a Wind Energy-Based Efficient Irrigation System
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published August 02, 1999 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
Results of an extensive wind tunnel test program aimed at development of a Savonius rotor-based irrigation system are summarized. The system uses an optimum configuration of the turbine and a novel coil-pump. Results suggest the system to be quite effective, with the turbine speed and tube diameter of the pump influencing the flow-rate while the number of turn of the coil-pump governing the head attained. Thus appropriate design of the system can provide the desired performance. Simplicity of construction, self-starting character, low speed operation, ease of maintenance and economy make the system quite attractive.
CitationModi, V., "On the Development of a Wind Energy-Based Efficient Irrigation System," SAE Technical Paper 1999-01-2620, 1999, https://doi.org/10.4271/1999-01-2620.
- Ahmedi, G. Some Preliminary Results on the Performance of a Small Vertical Axis Cylindrical Wind Turbine Wind Engineering 2 2 1978 65 74
- Savino, J.M. Eldridge, F.R. Wind Power Astronautics and Aeronautics 13 11 1975 53 75
- Hutter, V. Wind Power Machines NASA-TT-F-16195 1975
- Blackwell, B.F. et al Wind Energy – A Revitalized Pursuit Sandia Laboratories, Report No. 75-0166 1975
- Eldridge, F.R. Wind Machines National Science Foundation, U.S. Government Printing Office Washington, D.C. 1975
- Govind Raju, S.P. Narasimha, R. A Low Cost Water Pumping Windmill Using Sail-Type Savonius Rotor Department of Aeronautical Engineering, Indian Institute of Science, Bangalore, India, Report No. 79FM2 1979
- Roth, N.J. A Prototype Design and Performance of the Savonius Rotor Based Irrigation System M.A.Sc. Thesis University of British Columbia Vancouver, B.C., Canada 1985
- Fernando, M.S.U.K. On the Performance and Wake Aerodynamics of the Savonius Wind Turbine Ph.D. Thesis University of British Columbia Vancouver, B.C., Canada 1987
- Savonius, S.J. The S-Rotor and Its Application Mechanical Engineering 53 1931 333 338
- Sivasegaram, S. Design Parameters Affecting the Performance of the Resistance Type Vertical Axis Wind Rotor Wind Engineering 1 1977 207 217
- Khan, M.H. Model and Prototype Performance Characteristics of the Savonius Rotor Windmill Wind Engineering 2 1978 75 85
- Ogawa, T. Theoretical Study on the Flow About Savonius Rotor Transactions of the ASME, Journal of Fluids Engineering 106 1984 85 90
- Modi, V.J. Fernando, M.S.U.K. On the Performance of the Savonius Wind Turbine Transactions of the ASME, Journal of Solar Energy 111 1989 71 81
- Modi, V.J. Fernando, M.S.U.K. Yokomizo, T. An Integrated Approach to Design of a Wind Energy Operated Irrigation System Proceedings of the ASME/AIAA Wind Energy Symposium, 36th AIAA Aerospace Sciences Meeting Reno, Nevada, U.S.A 1998 AIAA and ASME Publishers, Paper No. ASME/AIAA 98-0041 165 182
- Martin, J.H. Annable, R.J. Rotating Coil Pump Chartered Mechanical Engineers 28 1981 43 44