This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Evaluation of Plasma-Sprayed, Thin-Film Pyrite Cathodes for Thermal Batteries
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published August 02, 1999 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
Thermal batteries are normally constructed using pressed-powder anode, separator, and cathode pellets (discs). However, parts less than 0.010” thick are difficult to press from the starting powders. The use of plasma spraying to deposit thin pyrite films onto a stainless steel substrate was examined as an alternative to pressed-powder cathodes. The electrodes were tested under isothermal conditions and constant-current discharge over a temperature range of 400°C to 550°C using a standard LiSi anode and a separator based on the LiCIKCI eutectic. The plasma-sprayed cathodes were also evaluated in similar 5-cell thermal batteries. Cells and batteries using pressed-powder cathodes were tested under the same conditions for comparative purposes.
CitationGuidotti, R., Reinhardt, F., Ye, H., Xiao, T. et al., "Evaluation of Plasma-Sprayed, Thin-Film Pyrite Cathodes for Thermal Batteries," SAE Technical Paper 1999-01-2513, 1999, https://doi.org/10.4271/1999-01-2513.
- Ye, H. Xiao, T. D. Strutt, P. R. Strock, C. W. and Reisner, D. E. “Active Material Feeds for Thermal Spray Systems; Method of Manufacture and Thermal Sprayed Electrodes or Energy Storage and Conversion Devices Made Therefrom,”, U. S. Patent Appl. FiledNov. 2 1998.
- Ye, Hui Strock, Chris Xiao, T.Danny Strutt, Peter.R Reisner, David. E.Guidott, Ronald A and Reinhatdt, Frederick w“Novel Design and Fabrication of Thermal Battery Cathodes Using Thermal Spray”, Spring Meeting of the Materials Research Society, San Francisco, CA, April 5-9 1999.
- Guidotti, F. Doughty, D. Xiao, T. D. and Reisner, D. E. “Electrochemical Cell Containing Thermal Sprayed Electrodes,”, U. S. Patent Appl. Filed Nov. 2, 1998.
- Guidotti, Ronald A. Reinhardt, Frederick W.Ye, Hui Strock, ChrisXiao, T.danny and Reisner, David E.“Electrochemical Evaluation of Pyrite Films Prepared by Plasma Spraying”, Fall, 1998 Meeting of The Electrochemical Society, Boston, MA, Nov. 1-6 1998.
- Badwal, S.P.S and Thorn, R.J.J. Sol. St. Chem., 43,167 (1982).
- Guidotti, R.A.unpublished data.
- Levin, E.MRobbins, C.R. and McMurdie, H.F.in Phase Diagrams for Ceramists,Reser, M.K ed. The American Ceramic Society, Columbus, OH, 1964), Figure 1257.
- Guidotti, R. A. and Reinhardt, F. W.Proc. 2nd Annual Battery Conf. on Appl. and Advances, 2 (1987).