This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Centralized Power Supply as Basis of New Philosophy of Space Power Engineering
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published August 02, 1999 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
The power supply is one of the most important problems for the perspective spacecraft and vehicles. There are:
the traditional spacecraft for phone- and TV communication, ecological monitoring, geological survey etc.;
the powerful multiprogram space station (for example “ALPHA”, “MIR” etc.);
the transportation vehicles in the near Earth Space (for example for the payload’s delivery from LEO to GEO) with the electric jet propulsion;
the prospective station on the Moon and Mars.
We have the analogous problems of the wireless power transmission from space to the Earth and from the Earth to space. There are well known projects for powerful space station, which utilizes the solar energy and converts it in a focused electromagnetic beam for transportation to the Earth.
The traditional power supply systems of the spacecraft include their own on-board power station (usually by the solar cells or the radioisotope batteries) for each of them. For a side by side comparison, consider the alternative spacecraft power supply concept, which implies usage of the powerful centralized electric power station (powersat) and energy transmission to the user satellites by laser or microwave beams. Some problem of such systems were considered in prior articles and papers  - .
- Andrey B. Grechnev - Moscow State Aviation Institute / Technical University
- Bladimir V. Grabin - Moscow State Aviation Institute / Technical University
- Leonid A. Kvasnikov - Moscow State Aviation Institute / Technical University
- Andrey P. Smakhtin - Moscow State Aviation Institute / Technical University
- Rostislav K. Tchuyan - Moscow State Aviation Institute / Technical University
- Nikolay V. Tolyarenko - Moscow State Aviation Institute / Technical University
CitationGrechnev, A., Grabin, B., Kvasnikov, L., Smakhtin, A. et al., "Centralized Power Supply as Basis of New Philosophy of Space Power Engineering," SAE Technical Paper 1999-01-2436, 1999, https://doi.org/10.4271/1999-01-2436.
- Brahney J.H. Structural Concepts for Future Space Systems Aerospace Eng 8 paper # 12 10 14 1988
- Branch U. Opowes H. Wibtwer W. Solar Pumped Solid State Lasers for Space-Space Power Transmission ISPS Stuttgart DLR 320 326 1991
- Bourgasov M.P. Tchuyan R.K. Tolyarenko N.V. Alternative Solution of Power Supply for New Spacecraft Generation Acta Astronautica 34 4-8 217 221 1996
- Bourgasov M.P. Kvasnikov L.A. Smakhtin A.P. Tchuyan R.K. Tolyarenko N.V. Conception of Centralized Power Supply for Spacecraft IECEC-96 paper #96265 1 19 24 1996
- Bourgasov M. P. Grechnev A.B. Grabin B. V. Kvasnikov L. A. Smakhtin A. P. Tchuyan R. K. Tolyarenko N. V. Cyclic Method of Centralized Power Supply for Orbital Spacecraft IECEC-97 paper # 97040 1 615 618 1997