This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Analysis of Available In-Flight Measurements of Lightning Strikes to Aircraft
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published June 22, 1999 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
In the European FULMEN program, a collection together with an analysis of available data on lightning have been collected in a public database produced by Aerospatiale. This database contains data on In-flight and ground measurements, on In-flight incidents and manufacturer transfer functions.
In this paper, the data of the in-flight measurements are presented. The In-flight data have been extracted from the Convair and Transall campaigns performed during summer 1985 and 1988 respectively. The measurements have shown that a lightning strike to an aircraft can be decomposed into four main phases: (1) the pre-breakdown phase associated with the general electrostatic condition just before the lightning, (2) the leaders development phase, (3) the recoil streamers phase and (4) the continuous current phase. For each phase, the main physical parameters (current, number of impulse current, impulse period, impulse duration, electric field, …) have been collected. Averages and cross correlation have been determined on these parameters. At the end of the analysis, the typical current waveform inferred from the measurements is shown and discussed.
|Technical Paper||Clearing Aircraft against Induced Lightning Transients|
|Technical Paper||Phenomenology of Ball Lightning Interaction with Airplanes|
|Technical Paper||MODEL STUDIES OF STROKE PROBABILITY TO SELECTED POINTS ON AEROSPACE VEHICLES|
CitationLalande, P., Bondiou-Clergerie, A., and Laroche, P., "Analysis of Available In-Flight Measurements of Lightning Strikes to Aircraft," SAE Technical Paper 1999-01-2397, 1999, https://doi.org/10.4271/1999-01-2397.
- Bailey J. C. Anderson R. V. Experimental Calibration of a Vector Electric Field Meter Measurement System on an Aircraft NASA research laboratory March 13 1987
- Moreau J.P. Labaune G. Gobin V. Aparicio J.P. Grando J. Issac F. Alliot J.C. perturbations électro-magnétiques créées sur un aéronef par un foudroie-ment direct ou de proximité internal report No18/7234PY
- Moreau J.P. Gautier L. Etude du foudroiement d’sun avion en vol. Mesures électromagnétiques No25/7234PY
- Laroche P. Airborne measurements of electrical atmospheric field produced by convective clouds Revue Phys. Appl 21 1986 809 815
- Mazur V. A physical model of lightning initiation on aircraft in thunderstorms J. Geophys. Res. 94 93 March
- Boulay J. interactions de la foudre sur un aéronef ONERA internal report No5/6777 PN Oct. 1994