This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Jigless Aerospace Manufacture-The Enabling Technologies
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published June 05, 1999 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
The shear size and flexibility of the larger airframe parts makes it difficult to imagine assembly without extensive use of hard tooling. Yet, the world of aerospace manufacturing is changing. It is already possible to considerably reduce the amount of external, ‘hard tooling’, especially jigs, through innovative design and the applications of advanced technologies.
Jigless Aerospace Manufacture, (JAM), is not a single, mysterious, as yet undiscovered technology. Rather it is a growing number of related and linked technologies. Many of these are already well established and considered ‘robust.’
This paper sets out to review and describe some of these enabling technologies and to explain their individual roles towards achieving JAM.
CitationBurley, G., Odi, R., Naing, S., Williamson, A. et al., "Jigless Aerospace Manufacture-The Enabling Technologies," SAE Technical Paper 1999-01-2286, 1999, https://doi.org/10.4271/1999-01-2286.
- BIRTWISTLE C Research Proposal to EPSRC 1995
- BURLEY G CORBETT J Flyaway tooling for Higher Quality, more Cost-Effective, Aerostructure Paper No. 981843 , Proceedings of the 1998 SAE Aerospace Manufacturing Technology Conference Long Beach, California, USA
- NAING S Management Implications of Jigless Aerospace Manufacture MSc Thesis 1998 Cranfield University England
- Passive Solar Design Jointly published by the US and UK Departments of Energy May 1995
- BANSAL N HAUSER G MINKE G Passive Building Design - A Handbook of Natural Climatic Control 1994 Elsevier Science B.V.
- RUDNICK, F.C Assembly simulation for the Joint Strike Fighter Aerospace Engineering, Aerospace Engineering December 1998
- Tecnomatix Technologies Ltd Making Virtual Manufacturing A Reality Sales Brochure http://www.tqei.com/hotline.html
- Variation Systems Analysis, Inc. 300 Maple Park Boulevard St. Clair Shores Michigan 4801-3771 http://www.vsa.com/company.htm
- CUNNINGHAM T.W MANTRIPRAGADA R LEE D.J THORNTON A.C WHITNEY D.E Definition, Analysis, and Planning of a Flexible Assembly Process Proceeding of the ASMA Japan/USA Symposium on Flexible Automation Boston, MA 1996
- ASTLEY R .J Finite Elements In Solids And Structures -An Introduction’, 1st. edition 1992 Chapman & Hall London, UK 345
- THOMPSON D.C The design of an ultra-precision CNC measuring machine Annals of the CIRP 38 1989 501 504
- LEE D.E HAHN H.T Comparative assessment cost performance analysis of joint technologies in composite structures Proceedings of the 12th. American Society for Composites Technical Conference Dearborn, MI, USA October 6-8 1997
- KROLL E. Towards using cost estimates to guide concurrent design processes 59 Concurrent Engineering, ASME 281 293 1992
- SANDS B STEPHENS D LALIBERTY T.J RAJA, N. Manufacturing simulations based on integrated product/ process models Proceedings of DETC97: ASME Design Engineering Technical Conference Sacramento, CA, USA September 14- 17 1997
- WILLIAMSON A MARSHALL G.A 1998 ‘Recent ideas in aerospace cost modelling’, presented at the OR 40 Conference Lancaster, UK September 7- 10 1998
- Operating and support-cost estimating guide Office of the Secretary of Defence Cost Analysis Improvement Group May 1992
- SARTORI S COLENNETTI G ZHANG G Geometric Error Measurement and Compensation of Machines Annals of the CIRP 1995
- CNA Flexible Tooling Systems, 18103 N.E. 68 th St., Suite C-100 Redmond, Washington 98052, USA http://www.cnaflextool.com/syscomp.html
- Bhaumik P.K Building aircraft assembly tools from a 3-D database SAE, Aerospace Technology Conference and Exposition Anaheim, Cal Oct. 3 - 6 1988 10
- Tutorial: Laser Trackers Optical Metrology Centre, City University London, England http://www.city.ac.uk/omc/tut-lasertracker.htm
- Big jig is taking shape… Airbus News, British Aerospace Issue no. 72 February 1999
- Tutorial: Photogrammetry Optical Metrology Centre, City University London, England http://www.city.ac.uk/omc/tut-phtg.htm
- Mugnier C.J, et. al. Digital image photogrammetry; Final report New Orleans Univ., LA., Gulf Coast Region Maritime Technology Center 1996
- Barclay B Close range photogrammetry in the aerospace test environment Aerospace Testing Seminar 11th, Manhattan Beach, CA Oct. 11-13 1988 Proceedings. Institute of Environmental Sciences 135 149
- Fraser C.S A resume of some industrial applications of photogrammetry ISPRS Journal of Photogrammetry and Remote Sensing 48 3 12 23 1993