This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Overview of Engine Combustion Research at Sandia National Laboratories
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published April 27, 1999 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
Event: Government/Industry Meeting
The objectives of this paper are to describe the ongoing projects in diesel engine combustion research at Sandia National Laboratories' Combustion Research Facility and to detail recent experimental results. The approach we are employing is to assemble experimental hardware that mimic realistic engine geometries while enabling optical access. For example, we are using multi-cylinder engine heads or one-cylinder versions of production heads mated to one-cylinder engine blocks. Optical access is then obtained through a periscope in an exhaust valve, quartz windows in the piston crown, windows in spacer plates just below the head, or quartz cylinder liners. We have three diesel engine experiments supported by the Department of Energy, Office of Heavy Vehicle Technologies: a one-cylinder version of a Cummins heavy-duty engine, a diesel simulation facility, and a one-cylinder Caterpillar engine to evaluate combustion of alternative diesel fuels.
CitationCarling, R. and Singh, G., "Overview of Engine Combustion Research at Sandia National Laboratories," SAE Technical Paper 1999-01-2246, 1999, https://doi.org/10.4271/1999-01-2246.
- Espey, C. Dec, J. E. “Diesel Engine Combustion Studies in a Newly Designed Optical-Access Engine Using High-Speed Visualization and 2-D Laser Imaging,” SAE Transactions 102 703 723 paper no. 930971 1993
- Dec, J. E. “A Conceptual Model of D.I. Diesel Combustion Based on Laser-Sheet Imaging,” SAE paper 970873 1997
- Dec, J. E. Canaan, R. E. “PLIF Imaging of NO Formation in a DI Diesel Engine,” SAE paper 980147 1998
- Dieke, G. H. Crosswhite, H. M. “The Ultraviolet Bands of OH Fundamental Data,” J. Quant. Spectrosc. Radiat. Transfer 2 97 199 1962
- Dec, J. E. Coy, E. B. “OH Radical Imaging in a DI Diesel Engine and the Structure of the Early Diffusion Flame,” SAE Transactions 105 1127 1148 paper no. 960831 1996
- Dec, J. E. Espey, C. “Ignition and Early Soot Formation in a D.I. Diesel Engine Using Multiple 2-D Imaging Diagnostics,” SAE Transactions 104 853 875 paper no. 950456 1995
- Siebers, D.L. “Liquid-Phase Fuel Penetration in Diesel Sprays,” SAE paper 980809 1998
- Canaan, R.E. Dec, J.E. Green, R.M. “The influence of Fuel Volatility on the Liquid-Phase Fuel Penetration in a Heavy-Duty D.I. Diesel Engine,” SAE paper 980510 1998
- Siebers, D.L. “Scaling Liquid-Phase Fuel Penetration in Diesel Sprays Based on Mixing-Limited Vaporization,” SAE paper 1999-01-0528 1999
- Higgins, B.S. Mueller, C.J. Siebers, D.L. “Measure-ments of Fuel Effects on Liquid-Phase Penetration in DI Sprays,” SAE paper 1999-01-0519 1999