This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Evaluation of Space-Compatible Biomass Pretreatment Methods
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published July 12, 1999 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
In bioregenerative life support systems, crop residues represent a source of biochemical energy for production of chemicals, pulp products and secondary foods. Hydrolysis of the structural carbohydrates in biomass produces edible glucose as well as various 5-carbon sugars usable by microorganisms. However, the biomass must be pretreated before hydrolysis to remove minerals useful as plant nutrients, break down lignin, and improve access of the enzymes to the carbohydrates. Some pre-treatments also hydrolyze part or all of the hemicellulose, leaving purified cellulose. For use in space, pretreatments must be safe, rapid and as complete as practicable.
This paper will present a process comparison of three “space-compatible” pretreatment methods for lignocellu-losic crop residues from bioregenerative life support systems. Ozonation, alkaline hydrogen peroxide, and strong alkali treatment use only regenerable materials and mild processing conditions. This paper will describe the three pretreatment methods, present methods for producing the necessary reagents in a planetary surface colony, and compare their cost and effectiveness in pre-hydrolysis treatment of CELSS biomass for production of sugar syrups.
CitationHunter, J., Greenwalt, C., McKenzie, S., and Denvir, A., "Evaluation of Space-Compatible Biomass Pretreatment Methods," SAE Technical Paper 1999-01-2076, 1999, https://doi.org/10.4271/1999-01-2076.
- Ahring, B.K. Licht, D. Schmidt, A.S. Sommer, P. Thomsen, A.B. 1999 Production of ethanol from wet oxidised wheat straw by Thermoanaerobacter math-ranii Bioresource Technology 68 3 9
- Ben-Ghedalia, D. Shefet G. Miron, J. 1980 Effect of Ozone and Ammonium Hydroxide pretreatments on the Composition and In--Vitro Digestibility of Cotton Straw. 1980 J. Sci. Food Agric 31 1337 42
- Dekker, R.F.Y. Wallis, A. F. A. 1983 Enzymic Saccharification of Sugarcane Bagasse Pretreated by Autohydrolyis - Steam Explosion Biotechnology and Bioengineering 25 3027 3048
- Detroy, R.W. Lindenfelser, L. A. Sommer, S. Orton, W.L. 1981 Bioconversion of Wheat Straw to Ethanol: Chemical Modification, Enzymatic Hydrolysis and Fermentation Biotechnology and Bioengineering 23 1527 1535
- Fan, L.T. Lee Y. H. Gharpuray, M. M. 1982 The Nature of Lignocellulosics and their Pretreatments for Enzymatic Hydrolysis Advances in Biochemical Engineering 23 157 187
- Hanford, A. 1997 Advanced Regenerative Life Support System Study and Advanced Regenerative Life Support System Study Update NASA Report JSC 38672; Document # CTSD-ADV-287 March 3 1997
- Hanford, A. Drysdale, A. E. 1999 Systems Modeling and Analysis Program Baseline Values and Assumptions Document
- Hanford, A. 1998 Water Presentation at ALS Systems Workshop March 28-29 1998 Houston, TX
- Hentges, D.L. 1999 Food Safety and Sanitation During an Extended Mission Life Support and Biosphere Sciences 6 61 66
- Hess, W. T. 1992 Hydrogen Peroxide In Kirth-Oth-mer Encyclopedia of Chemical Technology 4e 13 961 994 Kroschuitz, J. I. Howe-Grant. M.
- Kempf, A. W. Dence, C. W. 1975 The reactions of hardwood lignin model compounds with alkaline hydrogen peroxide Tappi 58 6 104 108
- Koullas, D. P. Christakopoulos, P. F. Kekos, D. Koukos E. G. Macris, B. J. 1993 Effect of alkali delig-nification on wheat straw saccharification by Fusar-ium oxysporum cellulases Biomass and Bioenergy 4 9 13
- Lin, S. 1997 Master’s Thesis, Cornell University
- MacDonald, D. G. Bakhshi, N.N. Mathews, J. F. Roychowdhury, A. Bajpai, P. Moo-Young, M. 1983 Biotechnology and Bioengineering 25 2067 2076
- Neely, W.C. 1984 Factors Affecting the pretreatment of Biomass With Gaseous Ozone Biotechnology and Bioengineering 26 59 65
- Pendyal, B. Johns, M. M. Marshall, W. E. Ahmedna, M. Rao, R.M. 1999 Removal of sugar colorants by granular activated carbons made from binders and agricultural byproducts Bioresource Technology 69 45 51
- Ramos, L. P. Saddler, J. 1994 Enzyme Recycling During Fed-Batch Hydrolysis of Cellulose Derived from Steam-Exploded Eucalyptus viminalis Applied Biochemistry and Biotechnology 45 46 193 207
- Saddler, J.N. Brownell, H. H. Clermont L.P. Levitin, N. 1982 Enzymatic Hydrolysis of Cellulose and Various Pretreated Wood Fractions Biotechnology and Bioengineering 24 1389 1402
- Vidal, P. F. Molinier, J. 1988 Ozonolysis of Lignin - Improvement of in vitro Digestibility of Poplar Sawdust Biomass 16 1 17
- Wood, T.M. Saddler, J. N. 1988 Increasing the Availability of Cellulose in Biomass Materials Methods in Enzymology 160 3 9
- Zheng, Y. Lin H. M. Tsao, G.T. 1998 pretreatment for Cellulose Hydrolysis by Carbon Dioxide Explosion Biotechnology Progress 14 890 896