This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
A Methodological Approach for the Analysis of the Car Driver's Posture
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published May 18, 1999 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
In this work a methodological approach for the analysis of the car driver's posture and of the seat performance and functionality is presented. It has been designed to integrate the information from the measurement of the driver's posture and anthropometry with the seat characteristics as described by shape and pressure map. The experimental protocol was applied on eight subjects.
The data analysis allows for the definition of some new interesting parameters. An important result is the estimation of the relationship between pressure and interpenetration that represents a predictive model for pressure distribution from the anthropometrical data of the anatomical surface of the back. This should be confirmed by a wider analysis and it could lead to new instruments for the evaluation of seat prototypes.
CitationAndreoni, G., Rabuffetti, M., and Pedotti, A., "A Methodological Approach for the Analysis of the Car Driver's Posture," SAE Technical Paper 1999-01-1927, 1999, https://doi.org/10.4271/1999-01-1927.
- Aliverti, A. Ferrigno G. Pedotti A. “Surface analysis by laser beam scanning and stereophotogrammetry” Videometrics II 2067 El-Hakim S.F. 209 219 1993
- Andersson G.B.J. “Load on the spine during sitting” Corlett N. Wilson J. Manenica I. ‘The Ergonomics of Working Postures’ Taylor&Francis London 1986 309 318
- Andreoni G. Rabuffetti M. Tarzia A. Pedotti A. “Multifactorial method for driving posture analysis” Proc. of XVIth Congress of the International Society of Biomechanics Tokyo, Japan 24-29 August 1997
- Andreoni G. Rabuffetti M. Tarzia A. Pedotti A. “3-D back surfaces as an ergonomic tool” Proc. of XVIth Congress of the International Society of Biomechanics Tokyo, Japan 24-29 August 1997
- Colombini D. Occhipinti E. Frigo C. Pedotti A. Grieco A. “Biomechanical, electromyographical and radiological study of seated postures” Corlett N. Wilson J. Manenica I. ‘The Ergonomics of Working Postures’ Taylor&Francis London 1986 331 344
- Eklund J.A.E. Corlett E.N. “Experimental and biomechanical analysis of seating” Corlett N. Wilson J. Manenica I. ‘The Ergonomics of Working Postures’ Taylor&Francis London 1986 319 330
- Elton J. Hubbard R.I.P. “Using anthropometric data to improve seat back confort in current and future passenger car seats” SAE paper 930111 43 57
- Ferrigno G. Pedotti A. “ELITE: a digital dedicated hardware system for movement analysis via real-time tv signal processing” IEEE Transactions Biomedical Engineering, BME-32 11 943 950 1985
- Grieco A. “Sitting posture: an old problem and a new one” Ergonomics 29 3 345 362 1986
- Guenaelle P. “One methodology to evaluate Automotive Seat Comfort” Proc. of 3.rd International Conference on Vehicle Comfort and Ergonomics Bologna, Italy 29-31 March 1995
- Hubbard R.P. Haas W.A. Boughner R.L. Canole R.A. Bush N.J. “New biomechanical models for automobile seat design” SAE paper 930110
- Kamijo K. Tsujimura H. Obara H. Katsumata M. “Evaluation of seating comfort” SAE paper 820761
- Lee J. Ferraiuolo P. “Seat confort” SAE paper 930105
- Manary M. Schneider L. Flannagan C. Eby B. “Evaluation of the SAE J826 3-D manichin measures of driver positioning and posture” SAE paper 941048
- Nakaya H. Okiyama H. “A development of statistical human back contour model for backrest comfort evaluation” SAE paper 930114
- Ward E. Southall D. “A technique for measuring vehicle seat interface pressure” SAE paper 930116
- Yamazaki, N. “Analysis of sitting comfortability of driver's seat by contact shape” Ergonomics 35 677 692 1992
- Janghong Zhao Lang Tang “An evaluation of comfort of a bus seat” Applied Ergonomics 25 6 386 392 1994