This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Complex Modal Analysis of Rotating Systems
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published May 17, 1999 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
The objective of this paper is to present the complex analysis method for the free vibration of general anisotropic rotors. The approach developed in this work represents the natural mode of the rotor as the sum of two sub-modes, one that rotates in the forward direction and the other in the backward direction. It is shown that the natural mode has to be described as such to satisfy the complex equation of motion of general rotor systems. Physical interpretation of results from the analysis of a model of the anti-symmetric motion of the rigid rotor shows that the complex mode contains modal directivity information as well as the conventional modal information. Proposed representation of the natural mode enables one to make clear definition of the forward mode and the backward mode, and more importantly enables one to complete the complex rotor analysis procedure.
|Technical Paper||Stochastic Analysis of Power Train Rigid Body Modes|
|Technical Paper||The Method to Predict the Vibration Transfer Function of Hydraulic Engine Mount on a Vehicle|
|Technical Paper||Army Aircraft Systems Development Program|
CitationKessler, C. and Kim, J., "Complex Modal Analysis of Rotating Systems," SAE Technical Paper 1999-01-1835, 1999, https://doi.org/10.4271/1999-01-1835.
- Dimentberg, F. M. “ Flexural Vibrations of Rotating Shafts ” Butterworths 1959 1961
- Childs, Dara “ Turbomachinery Rotordynamics: Phenomena, Modeling, and Analysis ” Wiley and Sons 1993
- Lee, Chong-won “ Vibration Analysis of Rotors ” Kluwer Academic Publishers 1993
- Lee, Chong-Won Joh, Young-Don “Theory ofExcitation Methods and Estimation of Frequency Response Functions in Complex Modal Testing of Rotating Machinery” Mechanical Systems and Signal Processing 7 1 1993
- Lee, Chong-Won “A Complex Modal Testing Theory For Rotating Machinery” Mechanical Systems and Signal Processing 1991 5 2 119 137
- Lee, Chong-won Joh, Chee-Young “Development of the Use of Directional Frequency Response Functions for the Diagnosis of Anisotropy and Asymmetry in Rotating Machinery: Theory” Mechanical Systems and Signal Processing 1994 8 6
- Joh, Y.-D. Lee, C.-W. “Excitation Methods and Modal Parameter Identification in Complex Modal Testing of Rotating Machinery” Modal Analysis: the International Journal of Analytical and Experimental Modal Analysis 8 3 July 1993
- Lee, Chong-Won “Rotor Dynamics and Control in Complex Modal Space” Keynote Speech of 1st International Conference on Motion and Vibration Control 1992
- Kessler, C. Kim, J. “Complex Modal Analysis and Modal Superposition for Rotating Machinery” Proceedings of the 17 th International Modal Analysis Conference