This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Sound Quality Metric for Diesel Engines
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published May 17, 1999 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
Sound data were recorded from a series of trucks that were operated in various powertrain conditions. The acquired sounds from both the steady state engine speed and second gear wide open throttle operation were then presented to a group of subjects as paired comparisons. Correlation between these subjective ratings to the objective measures of the engine sound were then done and a linear relationship developed.
CitationIngham, R., Otto, N., and McCollum, T., "Sound Quality Metric for Diesel Engines," SAE Technical Paper 1999-01-1819, 1999, https://doi.org/10.4271/1999-01-1819.
- “Noise and Vibration Technology for the Perkins V6 HSDI Demonstration Engine” Southall, R. Trimm, M. SAE 972044
- “Noise Reduction of Diesel Engines with Internal Stiffeners” Agren, A.. Johansson O. Klopotek M. Noise Control Eng. J. 45 1 1997 Jan - Feb.
- “Fundamentals of low engine noise design” Lalor N. Engine Noise and Vibration Control Course Notes, ISVR 1988
- “Engine Structure Vibration, low noise engine design” Lalor, N. ISVR 1988
- “Complete NVH Optimisation of a Passenger Vehicle with a D.I. Diesel Engine to meet subjective market demands and future legislative requirements” Rust A. Schiffbaenker H. Brandl F. SAE 890125
- “Annoyance of idling diesel engine noise evaluated by multivariate analysis” Shafiqussaman Khan M. Johansson O. Lindberg W. Sundback U. Noise Control Engineering, J. 43 6 1995 November - December
- “Development of an annoyance index for heavy - duty diesel engine noise using multivariate analysis” Shafiqussaman Khan M. Johansson O. Lindberg W. Sundback U. Noise Control Engineering, J. 45 4 1997 July - August
- “Commercial Van Diesel Idle Sound Quality” Champagne A. Shiau, Nae-Ming SAE 971980
- “Meeting Future Demands for Quieter Commercial Powertrain Systems” Beidi, C. Rust, A. SAE 972042
- “Improvement of Sound Quality of Exterior Idling Noise of Small Diesel Truck” Hashimoto, T. Hatano, S. Saito, H. SAE 951289
- “A Distribution Based Definition of Impulsive Noise” Erdreich J. J. Acoustic Society of America 79 4 1986
- “Subjective assessment of diesel vehicle noise” Russell M. Sekowski M. Nikokiroulis N. IMechE paper 925187, reference C389/044 1992
- “Statistical Evaluation of an Annoyance Index for Engine Noise Recordings” Hussain M. Golles J. Ronache A. Schiffbanker H. SAE 911080
- “Case Studies Involving the Identification of Problematic Impulsive Effects on Vibration Signals” Storer D. Guerci G. Morari C. Tanfoglio V. Lauwerys X. Reybrouck K.. SAE 971894
- “Towards an Objective Estimate of the Subjective Reaction to Diesel Engine Noise” Russell M.F. Worley S.A. Young C.D. SAE 870958
- “Development and Application of an Evaluation Technique to Assess the Subjective Character of Engine Noise” Schiffbanker H. Brandl F. K. Thien G. E. SAE 911081
- The Method of Paired Comparisons David H. A. Oxford Press N.Y. 1988