This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Vehicle Disc Brake Squeal Simulations and Experiences
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published May 18, 1999 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
Brake related warranty costs are a major concern to the automotive industry. Large part of these costs are due to noise, more particularly due to the brake squeal complaints. Computer-aided engineering solutions have attracted a lot of attention from the engineering and development community for more effective brake product development. Recently, three brake squeal analysis methods were implemented on disc type brakes in a vehicle program at Ford. This paper summarizes the results and documents the experience obtained during implementation in the vehicle CAE process.
|Technical Paper||Brake Pad Modal Characteristic Measurement and Analysis|
|Technical Paper||An Investigation of In-Plane Vibration Modes in Disc Brake Squeal Noise|
|Technical Paper||Animations of a Disc Brake Generating Noise|
CitationMahajan, S., Hu, Y., and Zhang, K., "Vehicle Disc Brake Squeal Simulations and Experiences," SAE Technical Paper 1999-01-1738, 1999, https://doi.org/10.4271/1999-01-1738.
- Kido, I. Kurahachi, T. Asai, M. “A Study on Low-Frequency Brake Squeal Noise” SAE Paper 960993
- Hulten, J. Flint, J. Nellemose, T. “Mode Shape of a Squealing Drum Brake” SAE Paper 972028
- Brooks, P.C. Crolla, D.A. Lang, A.M. Schafer, D.R. “Eigenvalue Sensitivity Analysis Applied to Disc Brake Squeal” 135 143 I.Mech.E. paper C444/004/93 Mar. 1993
- Bajaj, A.K. “Simple Models of Brake Squeal as a Dynamic Instability” Ford Motor Co. Oct. 29 1996
- Yuan, Y. “An Eigenvalue Analysis Approach to Brake Squeal Problems” Proceedings of the Dedicated Conference on Automotive Braking Systems, 29 th ISATA Florence, Italy June 1996
- Barnes, T. “High Frequency Brake NVH Modeling - Component Approach” Ford Motor Co. June 12 1997
- Chargin, M.L. Dunne, L.W. Herting, D.N. “Non-linear Dynamics of Brake Squeal” MSC World Users Conference 1997
- Hu, Y. Nagy, L.I. “Brake Squeal Analysis using Non-linear Transient Finite Element Method” SAE Paper 971610
- Hu, Y. Mahajan, S. K. Zhang, K. “Brake Squeal DOE using Non-linear Transient Analysis” SAE Noise and Vibration Conference Traverse City, MI May 1999
- Mahajan, S. K. “Comparison of Two Pad Materials using Complex Eigenvalue Brake Squeal Analysis” Ford Motor Co. 1997
- GTO/AVT Data Report on FN145 Brake Noise Model Verification Ford Motor Co. June 13 1997
- Paul, T. “Brake Noise Prediction and Comparison with Test Data” Ford Motor Co. June 2 1997