This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Experimental Analysis of Rattle Noise Abatement in Seatbelt Retractor Assembly
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published May 17, 1999 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
Squeak & rattle issues for an automobile interior component design have rapidly increased due to customer's expectations for high quality vehicles. Also, due to advances in the reduction of vehicle interior and exterior noise, safety restraints have recently been brought to the forefront to meet the vehicle interior sound quality. When the retractor is subjected to a higher level of vibration input and is located close to the driver's or passenger's ears, the retractor is prone to rattle and the rattle noise is detectable subjectively. The objective of this paper is to experimentally analyze the seatbelt retractor rattle noise and to evaluate various rattle noise abatement methodologies through a design of experiment matrix. A test methodology specified in the vibration noise specification for the seatbelt retractor assembly demonstrates the promising attempt to correlate the in-vehicle noise evaluation. A gage study and system capability analysis of the complete noise test system was conducted, and a design of experiment (DOE) of numerous design variables for the rattle noise abatement was studied. Both objective analysis through various sound measurement matrices and subjective jury evaluation through a sound quality system were correlated in order to quantify the level of improvement on the rattle phenomena.
CitationLiu, K., DeVilbiss, T., and Freeman, M., "Experimental Analysis of Rattle Noise Abatement in Seatbelt Retractor Assembly," SAE Technical Paper 1999-01-1723, 1999, https://doi.org/10.4271/1999-01-1723.
- Shaw, S. W. Holmes, P. J. 1983 “A Periodically Forced Piecewise Linear Oscillator,” Journal of Sound and Vibration 90 1 129 155
- Her, J. et al. 1997 “Quantitative Prediction of Rattle in Impacting System,” SAE Paper 972059
- Fegelman, K. J. L. Grosh, K. 1998 “Acoustic Radiation by a Rattling Plate: Theoretical and Experimental Analysis,” Proceedings of Noise-Con98 192 161 168
- Padmanabhan, C. et al. 1995 “Computation Issues Associated with Gear Rattle Analysis,” Journal of Mechanical Design 117 1 185 192
- Wang, Y. 1997 “Modeling and Analysis of Automotive Transmission Rattle,” SAE Paper 972054
- Lyon, R. H. 1987 Machinery Noise and Diagnostics Butterworth Publishers