This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
The Reality of Problem Solving
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published May 10, 1999 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
Structured problem solving methods are utilized in the automotive industry for the efficient resolution of quality issues in manufacturing. Several problem solving methodologies have been developed, each with the same basic philosophy to prevent problem reoccurrence. Numerous barriers inhibit the effectiveness of problem solving. Although some tactical barriers may be overcome by training personnel, the majority of barriers are strategic or cultural in nature. Barriers at these two levels can only be removed by management level personnel. Management must shift its focus from firefighting to problem prevention. This shift can only be realized if problem prevention is addressed during design.
|Technical Paper||Paint Usage Reduction in Automotive Paint Booths|
|Technical Paper||Critical Management Skills for Maintenance Managers|
|Book||From Engineer to Manager|
CitationVinarcik, E., "The Reality of Problem Solving," SAE Technical Paper 1999-01-1626, 1999, https://doi.org/10.4271/1999-01-1626.
- Deming W.E. Out of the Crisis Massachusetts Institute of Technology Cambridge, Mass. 1982 88
- Goetsch D.L. Davis S. Introduction to Total Quality Maxwell Macmilliam Int. New York, NY 1994 232 240
- Ishikawa K. Guide to Quality Control Asian Productivity Organization Tokyo 1982 18 29
- Global 8-D Ford Motor Company Dearborn, MI 1998 1 226
- Team Oriented Problem Solving Ford Motor Company Dearborn, MI 1989 4.0.1 4.8.3.
- Robust Design Using Taguchi Methods Workshop Manual The American Supplier Institute Livonia, MI 1998 1 17
- Solutions The American Supplier Institute Livonia, MI 1999 17
- Clausing D. Total Quality Development ASME Press New York, NY 1994 58 60
- Starbuck W.H. Milliken F.J. “Challenger: Fine-Tuning the Odds Until Something Breaks,” Journal of Management Studies 1988 July 337