This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
A Lumbar Spine Modification to the Hybrid III ATD For Aircraft Seat Tests
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published April 20, 1999 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
A cooperative project between the Federal Aviation Administration (FAA) Civil Aeromedical Institute (CAMI), Applied Safety Technologies Corp. (ASTC), and Robert A. Denton, Inc. was conducted to investigate modifications to the standard Hybrid III anthropomorphic test dummy (ATD) lumbar spine and its interface to the pelvis and thorax. The impetus for this project was based on the desires of aviation researchers, manufacturers, and dynamic test laboratories to utilize the Hybrid III ATD in the development and certification of aircraft seats. The goal was to develop a lumbar spine modification for the Hybrid III that would produce similar responses to those measured with a Hybrid II. The primary focus of this project was the compressive force measured at the base of the lumbar column during the vertical test condition required by FAA’s regulations. Analysis of loads imparted to the seat by the Hybrid III, as well as the kinematics of head motion during forward-facing horizontal dynamic impact tests, were also performed as part of this effort.
- Van Gowdy - Federal Aviation Administration, Civil Aeromedical Institute
- Richard DeWeese - Federal Aviation Administration, Civil Aeromedical Institute
- Micheal S. Beebe - Applied Safety Technologies Corporation
- Barry Wade - Applied Safety Technologies Corporation
- John Duncan - Applied Safety Technologies Corporation
- Randy Kelly - Robert A. Denton, Inc.
- James L. Blaker - Robert A. Denton, Inc.
CitationGowdy, V., DeWeese, R., Beebe, M., Wade, B. et al., "A Lumbar Spine Modification to the Hybrid III ATD For Aircraft Seat Tests," SAE Technical Paper 1999-01-1609, 1999, https://doi.org/10.4271/1999-01-1609.
- Washington DC 1989
- Soltis, S.J. Nissley, W.J. The Development of Dynamic Performance Standards for Civil Aircraft Seats, Proceedings of the National Institute for Aviation Research Aircraft Interiors Conference Wichita State University 1992
- Soltis, S.J. Olcott, J. SAE 850853 Warrendale, PA April 1985
- Chandler, R.F. SAE 851847 Warrendale, PA April 1985
- Washington DC 1989
- Foster, J.K. Kortge, J.O. Wolanin, J.J. SAE 77093B Warrendale, PA 1977
- Milan, OH 1999
- Warrendale, PA 1997
- Gowdy, V. DeWeese, R. May 1992
- 2 Fort Eustis, VA 1989
- Prasad, P. Warrendale, PA 1990
- Muzzy, W.H. Lustick, L. SAE 760801 Warrendale, PA 1976
- Seemann, M.R. Muzzy, W.H. Lustick, L. SAE 861892 Warrendale, PA April 1986