This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Numerical Optimization of Ring-Pack Behavior
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published May 03, 1999 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
The ring-pack behavior in a modern gasoline engine represent complicated phenomena. The process of ring pack design consists of two stages: understanding the physical behavior and design synthesis on the systematic manner. Computer models give an inside on the physical processes associated with the ring-pack behavior. Mathematical optimization techniques provide the tools for design synthesis on the systematic way based on an optimal criteria.
The mathematical optimization technique was developed and applied to ring pack design synthesis. When applied to the existing engine ring-pack designs, the optimized results indicated the potential for significant reduction in blow-by through the ring-pack by optimizing ring pack geometry. The optimization results were compared with the original ring pack designs for two gasoline engines for a wide range of operating conditions.
CitationEjakov, M., Diaz, A., and Schock, H., "Numerical Optimization of Ring-Pack Behavior," SAE Technical Paper 1999-01-1521, 1999, https://doi.org/10.4271/1999-01-1521.
- Andronov, A. A. Vitt, A. A. Khaikin, S. E. “ Theory of Oscillators ,” Pergamon Press Ltd. 1966
- Carmichael, D. G. “ Structural Modelling and Optimization: A General Methodology for Engineering and Control ,” Ellis Horwood, Ltd. 1981
- CASE Analysis System Theoretical Manual Compu-Tec Engineering, Inc. Chesterfield, Missouri 1995
- CASE Analysis System User's Manual Compu-Tec Engineering, Inc. Chesterfield, Missouri 1995
- Ejakov, M. A. Schock, H. J. Brombolich, L. J. Carlstrom, C. M. Williams, R. L. “Simulation Analysis of Inter-Ring Gas Pressure and Ring Dynamics and Their Affect on Blow-by,” 29-2 1997 Fall Technical Conference 2 ASME 1997
- Ejakov, M. A. “Ring Pack Behavior and Oil Consumption Modeling in an IC Engine,” Michigan State University 1998
- Haftka, R. T. Gurdal, Z. “ Elements of Structural Optimization ,” Kluwer Academic Publishers 1992
- Haug, E. J. Choi, K. K. Komkov, V. “ Design Sensitivity Analysis of Structural Systems ,” Academic Press, Inc. 1986
- Haug, E. J. Arora, J. S. “ Applied Optimal Design ,” Jonh Wiley & Sons, Inc. 1979
- MATLAB, Using MATLAB, Version 5 The MathWorks, Inc. 1996
- MATLAB, Optimization Toolbox, User's Guide, Version 5 The MathWorks, Inc. 1996
- Pierre, D. A. “ Optimization Theory with Applications ,” Jonh Wiley & Sons, Inc. 1969
- Press, W. H. Flannery, B. P. Teukolsky, S. A. Vetterling, W. T. “Numerical Recipies, The Art of Scientific Computing,” Cambridge University Press Cambridge 1986
- Shaw, S. W. “A Periodic Forced Piecewise Linear Oscillator,” Cornell University 1983
- Vanderplaats, G. N. “ Numerical Optimization Techniques for Engineering Design: With Applications ,” McGraw-Hill New york 1984