This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
A Study on Engine Bearing Wear and Fatigue Using EHL Analysis and Experimental Analysis
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published May 03, 1999 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
The possibility of predicting engine bearing durability by elastohydrodynamic lubrication (EHL) calculations was investigated with the aim of being able to improve durability efficiently without conducting numerous confirmation tests. This study focused on the connecting rod big-end bearing of an automotive engine. The mechanisms of wear and fatigue, which determine bearing durability, were estimated by comparing the results of EHL analysis and experimental data. This comparison showed the possibility of predicting the wear amount and the occurrence of fatigue by calculation.
CitationUshijima, K., Aoyama, S., Kitahara, K., Okamoto, Y. et al., "A Study on Engine Bearing Wear and Fatigue Using EHL Analysis and Experimental Analysis," SAE Technical Paper 1999-01-1514, 1999, https://doi.org/10.4271/1999-01-1514.
- Martin F. A. Garner D. R. Adams D. R. “Hydrodynamic Aspects of Fatigue in Plain Bearings,” Trans.ASME, J. Lub. Tech. 103 1981 150 156
- Yahraus W. A. “Rating Sleeve Bearing Material Fatigue Life in Terms of Peak Oil Film Pressure,” SAE Paper 871685
- Ushijima K. Moteki K. Goto T. Aoyama S. “A Study on Engine Bearing Performance Focusing on the Viscosity-Pressure Characteristic of the Lubricant and Housing Stiffness,” SAE Paper 961144
- Masuda T. Ushijima K. Hamai K. “A Measurement of Oil Film Pressure Distribution in Connecting Rod Bearing With Test Rig,” Tribology Trans. STLE 35 1992 1 71 76
- Xu Hao Crooks C. S. “A Study of the Behaviour of Connecting Rod Bearings Using an EHL Predictive Tool,” SAE Paper 970217
- Ushijima K. Arai T. Goto T. Aoyama S. “A Study on Engine Bearing Performance Using EHL Analysis and Experimental Analysis,” JSAE Review 18 1997 263 269 JSAE9733602
- Xu H. “Effect of EHD Contacts Upon the Bearing and Housing Behavior,” SAE Paper No. 960987
- Tallian T. E. “Rolling Bearing Life Modifying Factors for Film Thickness, Surface Roughness, and Friction,” Trans. ASME, J. Lub. Tech. 103 1981 509 520
- Okamoto Y. Kitahara K. Ushijima K. Aoyama S. Xu H. Jones G. J. “A Study for Wear and Fatigue of Engine Bearings on Rig Test by Using Elastohydrodynamic Lubrication Analysis,” SAE Paper No. 1999-01-0287 March 1999 SAE congress
- Moteki K. Ushijima K. Tasaki Y. Aoyama S. “A Method of Analyzing Lubrication Conditions in Engine Bearing and Influence of Journal and Bearing Surface Roughness on Friction Loss,” Proceedings of the ITC Yokohama 1995 1011 1015