This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Response of Far-Side Occupants in Car-to-Car Impacts with Standard and Modified Restraint Systems using Hybrid III and US-SID
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published March 01, 1999 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
This paper provides a summary of preliminary results of three car-to-car 90-degree lateral impact crash tests with initially restrained Hybrid III and US-SID dummies. These tests comprised part of a collaborative research project between Monash University, Autoliv Australia and the Royal Automobile Club of Victoria. The overall research project objectives were to investigate the nature of non-struck side occupant injuries in automobile side impacts and to develop technical solutions to reduce these injuries.
The test program results showed that a sash belt with a pretensioner and good geometry was effective in reducing occupant lateral excursions and lap belt loads. An increase in occupant neck loading was however observed and measured. Lateral torso seat restraints helped to prevent direct contacts between adjacent occupants resulting in a reduced HIC measured for a non-struck side occupant dummy.
CitationStolinski, R., Grzebieta, R., Fildes, B., Judd, R. et al., "Response of Far-Side Occupants in Car-to-Car Impacts with Standard and Modified Restraint Systems using Hybrid III and US-SID," SAE Technical Paper 1999-01-1321, 1999, https://doi.org/10.4271/1999-01-1321.
- Mackay, G M Hill, J Parkin, S Munns, J A R Restrained Occupants on the Non-Struck Side in Lateral Collisions Proceedings of 13th ESV Conference Paris, France 1991
- Stolinski, R B Grzebieta, R H Fildes, B Side Impact Protection - Occupants in the Far-Side Seat International Journal of Crashworthiness 3 2 1998
- Frampton, R J Brown, R Thomas, P Fay, P The Importance of Non Struck Side Occupants in Side Collisions Proceedings of the 42nd Association for the Advancement of Automotive Medicine Conference Charlottesville, Virginia 1998
- Stolinski, R B Grzebieta, R H Fildes, B Vehicle Far-Side Impact Crash Injury Countermeasures International Journal of Crashworthiness Conference, IJCRASH’98 Dearborn, Michigan, USA 1998
- ECE Regulation No.95, Uniform Provisions concerning the Approval of Vehicles with regard to the Protection of the Occupants in the event of a Lateral Collision October 1995
- Rouhana, S W Viano, D C Jedrzejczak, E A McCleary, J D Assessing Submarining and Abdominal Injury Risk in the Hybrid III Family of Dummies SAE Paper 892440 1989
- McIntosh, A S Svensson, N L Kallieris, D Mattern, R Krabbel, G Ikels, K Head Impact Tolerance in Side Impacts Proceedings of 15th ESV Conference Melbourne Australia 1996