This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
A New Wear Tester To Determine Valve Seat Insert Wear Resistance
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published March 01, 1999 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
Wear testing methods are the key factor in the development of new materials and surface treatment processes for valve seat insert applications. A new wear tester was developed to simulate the wear process of valve seat/insert based on the analysis of valve seat insert wear mechanisms. Normal contact and sliding motions were generated by two motors to synthesize the complex actions of the valve on the insert in an internal combustion engine. Initial wear test at 260°C (500°F) indicates there is a good agreement with the field engine test results of intake applications. Because of the short testing time and simple geometry shape of the specimens, it is possible to conduct massive wear tests for new valve seat insert alloy developments. This new tester also provides a useful tool to the study of wear mechanisms under complex mechanical actions.
CitationLiang, X., Strong, G., Eickmeyer, D., and Myers, K., "A New Wear Tester To Determine Valve Seat Insert Wear Resistance," SAE Technical Paper 1999-01-1319, 1999, https://doi.org/10.4271/1999-01-1319.
- Narasimhan S. L. Larson J. M. Wear 74 81-82 213 227
- Narasimhan S. L. Larson J. M. SAE Paper 851497 1985
- Wang Y. S. Narasimham S. Larson J. M. Larson J. E. Barber G. C. Wear 201 1996 15 25
- Malatesta M. J. Barber G. C. Larson J. M. Narasimhan S. L. Tribol. Trans. 36 4 1993 627
- Onoda M. Kuroishi N. SAE Paper 880668 1988
- Fujiki A. Kano M. SAE Paper 920570 1992
- Dalal K. Krueger G. SAE Paper 980327 1998
- Kawata H. Hayashi K. Ishii K. SAE Paper 980328 1998
- Liang X. Strong G. R. SAE Paper 982047 1998
- Friction and Wear Testing Source Book ASM ASTM 1997
- Mathis R. J. Burrahm R. W. Ariga S. Brown R. D. GRI-90/0049 Gas Research Institute 1990
- Giles W. S. Updike S. H. SAE 710674 1971
- Zinner K. ASME Paper 63-OGP-1 1963
- Czichos H. Wear 41 1977 45 55
- Peterson M. B. Selection and Use of Wear Tests for Metals ASTM STP 615 Bayer R. G. ASTM 1976