This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
A Simple CCD Based Lane Tracking System
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published March 01, 1999 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
A low cost system has been developed to measure a vehicle's lateral position relative to the lane markings on a roadway. The system is capable of tracking white or orange lines, solid or dashed edge lines, while operating in daylight or at night. The tracking system is comprised of two “off-the-shelf” black and white charge coupled device (CCD) video cameras along with commonly available electronic components. The lane tracking system is capable of outputting real time data at 30Hz through an analog output. Using the data from this sensor system it is possible to detect lane changes, determine the magnitude and duration of lane exceedances, and other metrics commonly used by researchers in the transportation community. This paper will discuss the design and performance of the system, processing of the raw lane tracker data, and the benefits and limitations of the technology.
CitationBarickman, F. and Stoltzfus, D., "A Simple CCD Based Lane Tracking System," SAE Technical Paper 1999-01-1302, 1999, https://doi.org/10.4271/1999-01-1302.
- Weirwille, Walter 1996 “Driver Status / Performance Monitoring.” Proceedings from the Technical Conference on Enhancing Commercial Motor Vehicle Driver Vigilance December 1996
- Pomerleau, Dean 1995 “Program Overview: Run-Off-Road Collision Avoidance Using IVHS Countermeasures.” Peer Review of the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration Program 43 51 Intelligent Transportation Society of America
- Chovan, J. D. Tijerina, L. Alexander, G. Hendricks, D. L. 1994 March Examination of lane change crashes and potential IVHS countermeasures Cambridge, MA U.S. Department of Transportation Volpe National Transportation Systems Center
- Hatipoglu, C. Redmill, K. Ozgüner, Ü. 1997 Steering and Lane Change: A Working System Proceedings from IEEE Conference on Intelligent Transportation Systems Boston, Massachusetts November 1997
- Ozgüner, Ü. Baertlein, C Cavello, D. Farkas, C. Hatipoglu, C. Lytle, S. Martin, J. Paynter, F. Redmill, K. Schneider, S. Walton, E. Young, J. 1997 The OSU Demo '97 Vehicle Proceedings from IEEE Conference on Intelligent Transportation Systems Boston, Massachusetts November 1997